Technophobe Lady need s help

ctype 13:05 28 Feb 2009

I have a hp laptop with a wireless connection with o2 max 8 whatever they call them. The speed seems to be slow.
I tel and they told me to check with speed test.
on Frid was 5503 659 today 3945 1078. They intended on doing something at there end to do with noise reduction - sorry to be so vague. Is this about correct speed wise ? Or can you suggest something. I wipe out cookies/temp files most nights. I have downloaded some wallpaper from msn recently could this cause it
Ev
System details 1.73ghz - 795mhz 504mb

canarieslover 13:43 28 Feb 2009

As all broaband suppliers advertise as 'up to 8mb' for a service that you are getting do not expect to get that. The figures you give for Friday are actually quite respectable and even today's aren't bad, they all depend on how busy the net is. If you think its slow then check that you have your wireless connection set up properly so that nobody else can piggyback onto it and use up the bandwidth. My son visits me with his laptop and never bothers to plug into my router because he has a choice of several unsecured wireless connections that he can use while he is here. Are you allowing other users to do the same to yours?

Technotiger 14:24 28 Feb 2009

canarieslover - are you aware, that if your son is using these connections without the owners knowledge or permission, he is breaking the law?

canarieslover 14:31 28 Feb 2009

That's as maybe, but he's bigger than me. Seriously though, I will tell him next time he comes to visit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?