Teaching parents using computer and Internet

herc182 15:58 19 Feb 2012

Dear all I have just spent about 4 hours teaching my dad the Internet. It's slow progress!

Is there anything that you know of which would essentially serve as a tutorial for BASICS of windows 7 and the internet that they can study in the meantime?

Ideally something to read or video etc? They have never used a computer so it's really starting at the beginning. Unfortunately I don't have the patience and cannot do it.

Thanks

KRONOS the First 16:16 19 Feb 2012

Check your local area as there are quite often starter courses for the PC basics. Your local council or paper should be able to help.

lucky1 16:33 19 Feb 2012

There are some very good books on the PC Advisor book pages. Click on 'Shopping' link above.

Zak 16:34 19 Feb 2012
  rdave13 16:38 19 Feb 2012

This one looks good, windows-tutorials

Forum Editor 17:24 19 Feb 2012

Learning to use a computer can be a daunting experience for a complete newcomer, and although books can be helpful there's no substitute for having another person to guide you.

I totally understand your "Unfortunately I don't have the patience and cannot do it." comment - it's a very common reaction from people who are asked to teach parents about computing. I'm in agreement with Chronus - try to find out if your local authority runs any basic computing courses.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:54 19 Feb 2012

Almost impossible to learn from books, they need someone to show them and allow lots of practice , just learning mouse control is hard enough.

Its a bit like learning to drive - relatives are totally the wrong person to try and do the teaching. Nearly got divorced trying to teach the wife to drive :0) and she just shouts at me when I try and teach her basic computer skills.

Half day sessions at a local community site are the best idea make sthe learning a social activity as well and they see other people "in the same boat" so don't get disheartened.

herc182 21:16 19 Feb 2012

Thanks for all your suggestions. Think you are right. It's definitely one to one basis which would be most useful. Will drip feed them tutorials and see what there is locally.

Thanks again

stlucia2 07:50 20 Feb 2012

My wife refuses to learn how to use my PC, so I have to stand by and operate the mouse whenever she wants to read her home-town (overseas) newspaper, and type emails for her.

However, she is becoming accustomed to the tap and swipe actions needed to operate my smart phone, so I'm considering the idea of getting her an Android (or even Apple) tablet. I feel it might be easier to learn than a mouse-operated PC or laptop.

stlucia2 07:50 20 Feb 2012

My wife refuses to learn how to use my PC, so I have to stand by and operate the mouse whenever she wants to read her home-town (overseas) newspaper, and type emails for her.

However, she is becoming accustomed to the tap and swipe actions needed to operate my smart phone, so I'm considering the idea of getting her an Android (or even Apple) tablet. I feel it might be easier to learn than a mouse-operated PC or laptop.

stlucia2 07:52 20 Feb 2012

Sorry about the dupe. Is there no way to edit/delete it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?