TD-W8980 with Fibre Optic?

fsa259 17:49 18 Feb 2015

I have the above router, which I bought recently as an upgrade from the standard one AOL gave me for my ADSL. However, now I am out of contract and decided to upgrade to FTTC.

I understand I will get a separate BT modem, but can I still use my router with it, or will I have to use whatever router they provide, as I'm not sure if my TP LINK router is compatible with FTTC....

fsa259 18:39 18 Feb 2015

And that ADSL/VDSL router provided by non-plusnet has a built in modem, right? So my TP LINK will be redundant...

Secret-Squirrel 18:55 18 Feb 2015

If it turns out that you do receive an OpenReach modem then your TP-link is compatible - simply connect the modem to the "LAN4/WAN" port. That particular model doesn't have a VDSL modem so you won't be able to use it as an all-in-one device for fibre.

fsa259 19:00 18 Feb 2015

thank you both. I have switched to TalkTalk...so they will be sending their new AC protocol router which I think has a built in modem.

Secret-Squirrel 19:10 18 Feb 2015

"I have switched to TalkTalk..........."

In that case you'll receive a "TalkTalk Super Router" which does have a VDSL modem built-in.

fsa259 20:35 18 Feb 2015

Now I feel stupid for buying the TP LINK :/

fsa259 11:08 21 Feb 2015

Would it be possible to use the TalkTalk Super Router as a modem and plug that into the WAN port in the TP-LINK?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?