TCS System for web design

Helenasks 20:21 25 Apr 2007

Hi
Wasn't sure where to post this. We have had an ecommenrce website designed. The developer has a link at the bottom which we have not agreed to and have requested it be removed. The answer I got was 'That is not possible, it is part of the basic code of our TCS system and appears automatically'.

I feel this is not correct however without expert knowledge I cannot go back to the developer and dispute this - can anyone help me?

Thanks

Forum Editor 23:12 25 Apr 2007

You aren't being told the whole truth.

Sometimes web designers use templates they've bought in from someone else, or they use code which others have written. On such occasions there may be a condition attached to the use, which stipulates that an attribution link which appears in the code should not be removed. It's part of the copyright licence.

This may what has happened here, in which case you should have been told so when you asked. Either way, there's no such thing as links which can't be removed. I get intensely irritated when I hear of web designers trying to blind clients with science in this way.

It's not uncommon for designers to place links to their own sites in a discreet position somewhere on sites they've designed - it's a useful selling aid, and most clients are happy to agree to the practice. You don't say if the link in question is in this category, but if it is you might want to reconsider your request that it be removed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?