TCP/IP Settings

Chirag 00:52 10 Apr 2007

Hello, my friends' computer has a problem, his internet does not work. When I click on the two computers icon in the taskbar and then go to support to view the ip addresses it does not display any. I used system restore last time this happened to go back in time and it worked but this time when I tried System Restore it comes as incomplete. I tried using windows safe mode and still I cannot fix it. Please can someone help me. Also when I went to network connections I saw the local area connection was in the network bridge group, but it is not bridged with anything! I went into the properties of the connection and it says this connection is part of a network bridge. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the ethernet card drivers but it still says the same thing. There is no problem with the cable broadband modem because it works properly as I have just plugged in my laptop to it. Please can someone help me. Thank you very much.

howard64 06:37 10 Apr 2007

try sfc /scannow and let the system put back any damaged files. You will need the xp cd to do this.

dms05 08:09 10 Apr 2007

Running sfc /scannow won't do any harm and depending upon the XP installation you may not need the XP CD. However you may also like to delete the Bridged connection in Network Connection and then run the New Connection installation Wizard. This should give you a completely fresh LAN connection.

Taff™ 08:29 10 Apr 2007

Try Winsock fix click here

Chirag 16:56 11 Apr 2007

I tried Winsock fix but it doesnt fix it. When I right click on the local area connection it says in the General Tab "This adapter is part of the network bridge. To remove this adapter from the Network Bridge, or to modify settings, right-click the Network Bridge, and then click Properties" I cant do that as there is no network bridge icon in network connections. Any suggestions?

Chirag 17:32 11 Apr 2007

Is there any other way to fix this problem? I need urgent help please.

Chirag 18:04 11 Apr 2007

Would it work if I formatted and reinstalled windows again?

Taff™ 23:30 11 Apr 2007

Can you simply delete the LAN Connection? If not, when you right click the icon in Network Connections, does it give the option to "Unbridge"?

woodchip 23:37 11 Apr 2007

You need to go to Control Panel My Connections remove the Connection and create a new one

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?