tcp/ip settings

john1000 10:03 30 Jan 2005

i have a broadband connection but when connected i get the page saying cannot find server if i click on my favorite sites same thing the icon on the bottom says connected bytes recieved etc phoned wanadoo up and he did a ping test and said my tcp ip setting where wrong and told me to take my laptop back to the manfacturer i have check the settings with this computer and they are none the box for automatic settings is clicked what does he mean thanks

Mango Grummit 10:31 30 Jan 2005

This may help you click here=

john1000 13:46 30 Jan 2005

set tcp setting like explained still the same on connection all i get is page cannot be displayed in system viewer it is saying error unable to add the interface with the router managerfor the ip protocol cannot complete function hope this helps

FelixTCat 14:16 30 Jan 2005

John1000

I'm not clear whether you have a router or simply an ADSL modem as your broadband connection and whether you have other computers on your network. I am guessing that you have a router of some sort.

Check the router manual for its default address (it will be something like 192.168.1.1) Manually set your laptop ip address one higher and try again.

If that doesn't work, read the manual to reset the router to its default settings (may be a small button on the back), reboot router and laptop and try again.

If it still doesn't work, reset your laptop to automatically get an ip address, reboot and try again.

john1000 14:25 30 Jan 2005

i only have a adsl modem no router and i dont have any other computers connected

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:40 30 Jan 2005

Assume you have a speedtouch modem? Internet options- connections -click on speedtouch conection select properties-tick internet protacal tcp/ip select properties

tick box obtain address automatically

tick box obtain DNS server address automatically

click advanced click WINS tab make sur both enable boxes are ticked.

john1000 14:57 30 Jan 2005

checked all above everything is correct

FelixTCat 16:35 30 Jan 2005

john1000

I don't know that modem, but do you have to open a dial-up box even if the number to dial is 00000000 but using your broadband log-on and password to connect? If not, how do you log on to the broadband?

freaky 18:18 30 Jan 2005

Are you using NTL Broadband ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?