TCP/IP Ping OK but no networking.

gregori 00:37 24 Jun 2005

I have Windows 2000 Pro and a 98 PC on an existing home network(cable and hub). My laptop however which runs on Windows XP Home will not network. Having tried "ipconfig" and "ping" sucessfully, I am baffled.
I have tried every Network Wizard setting taking care to switch off the firewall (even the obviously wrong ones)in XP but it has failed to be of any help.
I would be grateful of any help.

mgmcc 09:05 24 Jun 2005

<<<Having tried "ipconfig" and "ping" sucessfully, I am baffled>>>

"ipconfig", depending on the switch used with it (ipconfig /all) just displays the details which may not necessarily be correct.

/release will release current addresses and should set to 0.0.0.0

/renew should force a renewal of the addresses from an available DHCP server, unless a fixed IP has been allocated.

Similarly being able to 'ping' other PCs on the network doesn't necessarily mean they are all set up correctly.

What IP addresses do the three PCs in the network have?

If you have enabled "Internet Connection Sharing" in a Host PC, this should have the fixed IP address 192.168.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 and it should allocate addresses in the same 192.168.0.xxx range to the Client PCs.

If you are not using "ICS", then you need to allocate fixed IP addresses in the correct range to each of the PCs.

recap 13:00 24 Jun 2005

Just to add a little to mgmcc posting.

Remember that each pc or laptop should have its own unique name say: pc1, pc2, laptop1 etc.

If you are using DHCP and do an ipconfig /all what is the release date and time for the ticket?

gregori 20:12 24 Jun 2005

Thanks for replying recap and mgmcc. To answer your questions, in no particular order.
1. Unique name? Yes I have.
2. I have already set the host for ICS and the host did set to 192.168.0.1
3. ipconfig/all gives a release date & time of 01 July 2005 19:36:13.
4. I have tried the ipconfig/release & renew which executed but did not help.
5. With ipconfig/all the laptop(XP) reports that DHCP is enabled. The host (2000 pro) reports that it is not. The Incoming connecttion "Incoming TCP/IP properties" tells me that TCP/IP have been assigned automatically using DHCP.

mgmcc 08:38 25 Jun 2005

<<<5. With ipconfig/all the laptop(XP) reports that DHCP is enabled. The host (2000 pro) reports that it is not.>>>

Correct. The "host" PC has Internet Connection Sharing enabled and therefore its network adapter has been given the fixed IP address of 192.168.0.1

The "client" gets its IP address by DHCP from the "host".

The question is:

Has the "client" got a correct 192.168.0.xxx address from the "host", or has it been unable to find the DHCP server and been allocated a 169.254.xxx.xxx address by Windows?

What address does IPCONFIG /ALL show in the "client" PC?

gregori 09:55 26 Jun 2005

<<<What address does IPCONFIG /ALL show in the "client" PC?>>>
192.168.0.122 it also states that the DHCP server is 192.168.0.1 which seems to be as it should be....
I am coming to the conclusion that it might be better to do without ICS as the ability to network the laptop is of more use to me. It does after all have a dial-up for those odd occasions when I will need it. I'll keep you informed.

gregori 20:09 26 Jun 2005

I have had no joy at all in getting my laptop which runs Windows XP to either connection share or even to simply network with other PC's which are already networked with each other. It used to network OK until I made the mistake of running the Network setup wizard whose purpose is to make sure that a system running XP will NEVER network again. I have had months of similar bother with a Desktop I built. Neither XP Home or Professional would network except for fleeting rare occassions. Once I gave up and went back to 2000 I was OK. In my experience 98 networks most easily. Just plug the cables in. That is all you have to do. 2000 needs permission set or static IP adresses. XP on the other hand does everything it can to fustrate me. It will probably be less trouble to copy any files I want to transfer to a CD. Thanks guys, I have learned a few new tricks but if you do get anymore ideas I am still interested. In the meantime I am going back to having a life.

LaineyF 20:59 24 Jul 2006

on a comp a couple of miles away from my pc so just took the following info over the phone:

host name : tommyhooter
primary dns suffix:
node type: hybrid
ip routing enabled: no
wins proxy enabled : no
dns suffix searchlist: belkin

ethernet adapter local area connection :
connection-specific dns suffix: belkin
description: realtekrtl8139/810xfamily fast ethernet nic
physical address: xx:xx:xx:xx
dhcp enabled: yes
autoconfiguration enabled: yes
ip address:192.168.2.4
subnet mask:255.255.255.0
default gateway:192.168.2.1
dhcp server:192.168.2.1
lease obtained: 22 july 2006 13:21
lease expires: 23 july 2006 13:21

LaineyF 21:00 24 Jul 2006

will have to go home now. no internet access until morning, will check back then, thanks for your help.

LaineyF 21:01 24 Jul 2006

sorry wrong thread!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?