Taskbar stays on when Gaming

Colspeed 17:29 22 Mar 2010

I've just gone back to DIRT2 and after loading the game I still see the Taskbar at the foot of the screen and the 'Minimise/Maximise' bar at the top.
Never used to be there so guess I've changed a setting somewhere but have no idea what.
Can anyone please tell me how to run game without the top and bottom strips?
Thanks

Pineman100 18:13 22 Mar 2010

I can't help you, but it will be easier for others to do so if you specify your operating system version.

Colspeed 18:30 22 Mar 2010

Yep, you're right, thanks. I'm using 64bit Windows7 on an i7 CPU and 5870 ATI graphics.

FreeAndy 22:02 31 Mar 2010

I have exactly the same problem and would like to know how to avoid seeing the taskbars when playing dirt2.
I have just installed Windows 7 64bit + updates, have a 5850 videocard (with drivers Catalyst 10.3)and am using Steam as the source of the free copy of dirt2. I haven't used Win7 or dirt2 before so I have no previous comparison. I haven't tried any other games on Win7 so I don't know if it is unique to dirt2.
Thanks for any advice (unless it's of the "go back to XP" variety, because I'm already tempted).

Colspeed 16:47 02 Apr 2010

Interesting that you too have experienced the same issue with Dirt2 on Steam. The best I can do is to Auto Hide the Taskbar while playing the game - just leaves the top which you can live with. I'm also running Windows7 and Dirt2 is the only game (I have) that does this. BTW, it started OK for a couple of months but went wierd for no apparent reason and could do nothing about it. It's my only Steam game (free with video card like you I s'pect) and will be the last. Not impressed.

rdave13 16:53 02 Apr 2010

Try pressing and holding ALT key then press the 'ENTER' key.

Colspeed 12:46 03 Apr 2010

Tried that. Steam suggested it too. Doesn't work!!

FreeAndy 19:27 06 Apr 2010

ANSWER: ALT + Enter
Codemasters' helpdesk suggested the same thing as rdave13 (thank you).
It worked for me, I had to press it a few times when the game was starting up and the game went to full-screen before the start video.

Graham. 20:33 06 Apr 2010

Try F11.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?