Taskbar Icons Keep Disappearing..Why? Can you Help

Kerrso05 14:59 13 Jan 2008

I have Windows XP Media Edition and after a recent Update of Windows I have experienced a very annoying problem. The problem is that some of the Icons in my Taskbar have disappeared and some have changed. What I mean by changed, is that eg. the AVG Anti Virus Icon has changed it's name to Nero and the iTunes Icon has changed its name to my Spam detective. Very strange.

I thought I had solved the problem when I did a System Restore and all the icons came back into the taskbar but this morning when I opened up the PC the icons had disappeared again plus some of the icons had changed names and some had changed their names. I did a system Restore , again and again all the Icons came back but I know if I shut down the computer and restart it the icons will disappear. I have up-to date Anti Virus....AVG Professional and I have completed Spybot and Adaware all to no effect....no spyware found.
I know this is not a major problem but it is annoying . I have Googled the problem and I see that Microsoft has said that this is a bug within Windows XP but I don't see a solution to it. Are you aware of this annoyance? and do you have a solution to it? or does Microsoft have a solution to it? and if so where can I find the answer?
Thanks

Harry

Technotiger 15:04 13 Jan 2008

Dunno if this will fix it, but have you right-clicked on taskbar and ticked Lock The Taskbar?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:07 13 Jan 2008

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

rawprawn 15:07 13 Jan 2008

See if this will help
click here

cocteau48 15:10 13 Jan 2008

It is indeed a glitch in XP and there is no hard and fast solution to it but the simplest remedy seems to be to log off and back on again.
click here
On the odd occasion that I find some icons missing (the program is loaded and running OK - just the icon does not appear in the task bar) logging off and on restores everything back to normal.

Technotiger 15:11 13 Jan 2008

Go to click here, download UNPNP.EXE and disable the system service.

It appears to work, but don't ask me how!

Kerrso05 15:16 13 Jan 2008

Hi there

I knew you would come to the rescue. Thanks for all your help. I tried the ticking of the "Lock the Taskbar"......well I had it set at Lock the Taskbar....so I unlocked it and tried it. No, it didn't work so I Locked the Taskbar and no it didn't work

Windows was Pre-installed on my Acer Aspire Computer...so I don't know if I could do that XP Repair.......could I?

I downloaded that Taskbar Repair Tool......I have used it but I would need to close down Windows and then restart it again to see if that worked

Does anyone know of this Bug in Windows XP?

cocteau48 15:33 13 Jan 2008

Do not think you need to download Technotigers UNPNP.exe.
You should be able to disable/enable this in Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services

Kerrso05 17:33 13 Jan 2008

cocteau48 yes I didn't think I needed to download the unPnP exe because (as you said) I can enable and disable it in Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services.........which I did last night and it didn't help.
It says on some forums that by disabling the PnP it will clear this bug but some have reported that this doesn't work for them.......and I can confirm it doesn't work for me.
Surely, you would think that if this is a known bug for Windows XP that Microsoft would have come up with a solution....but maybe not!!!
It's not a major problem it is more an annoying problem and one that shouldn't be there

To all that have responded to this thread, thanks for all your help.

Harry

click here
this worked for me,
right click link and save to desktop.once on desktop double click it.

sorry should read right click download tab in the link

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?