Task Manager - System Image running high

Steve A 20:53 04 Sep 2009

Hi,
My parents are running a Windows 95 machine which is running painfully slowly. I've looked in the Task Manager and 'System' is running at around 80% even when no other resource hungry tasks running.

After looking on the net this is a common problem, but there are literally hundreds of different messages being given. So I thought I'd come on here and hopefully get some guidance.

What could be causing this issue? I'm fully up to date with windows update, I've run a virus scan an found no issues with this either.

Any advice would be greatly received. Thanks

Technotiger 20:58 04 Sep 2009

If you mean System Idle Process, this is quite normal and is reading correctly. Not unusual for this to read in the 90's percentage-wise.

Steve A 21:00 04 Sep 2009

Hi Technotiger,

No, I don't mean the System Idle process. I'm aware that this is quite often high when nothing is happening. It's the image name 'System'. That's what made me query it.

Technotiger 21:07 04 Sep 2009

Perhaps it is doing auto-updates or similar behind-the-scenes'?

Steve A 21:09 04 Sep 2009

Possibly, but its been doing it most of the time for quite a few weeks so I would expect any updates to be cleared in the time the problems have been occurring.

Technotiger 21:13 04 Sep 2009

click here

Perhaps you could also reduce some of the items that run automatically at Start-up, that may not really be needed at that time.

Steve A 21:17 04 Sep 2009

Sorry, I've just noticed I've put Windows 95, when I'm actually running Windows XP. I was talking about it whilst typing and didn't realise!

Technotiger 21:34 04 Sep 2009

XP - in that case, it could also be creating System Restore Points, running Auto-scans with various programs, defragging or M'soft updates among other things.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone