task manager disabled

Jomi 07:54 01 Oct 2005

When I try to use the task manager using ctrl-alt-del I get a message which says "Task manager has been disabled by your administrator".
Well I am the administrator and I didn't disable it (I don't know how).
Can anyone tell me what happened, and how to enable task manager again?

thanks.

VoG II 08:16 01 Oct 2005
  Jomi 08:21 01 Oct 2005

Registry fixed manually and task manager is running again.

thank you VoG

Jomi 08:28 01 Oct 2005

The problem is fixed now but I'll leave the thread open for a while in case anyone knows how it happened. I know I didn't disable it - unless I could have done it accidentally!!

system is:
Athlon 3200 (32bit)
1gb ddr pc3200
radeon 9800 pro
win xp pro

dave h 16:16 04 Jan 2006

Thank VOG, It worked for me.

I've just had the same problem - I was surfing and had a rash of 'Pop Ups'. The 'close' button at the top right of the window had ceased working. I hit 'Ctrl Alt Delete' to bring up task manager to close IE, and the 'Task manager disabled by administrator' message appeared. I shut off the computer and re-booted.
As I am a single user, I know damn well I didn't do it, so I feel the rash of 'Pop Ups' may have had something to do with it.

Also my login name became corrupted and I could not log in. This may or may not be linked to the above problem.
Anyone know of a vierus/trojan/ other nasty which might do this? I have AVG and Zone alarm both fully updated and Adawar, Spybot as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?