task manager blocked

ernieernie 16:19 15 Jan 2009

I have a new Acer Aspire 2902 laptop. In general I am pleased with it.
Unfortunately, Acer seem to have superimposed some unnecessary ideas of their own on it.
Two examples. The first is that when I want to turn it off I am only given the options of Switch User, Log Off and Lock and there seems to no way to change this.
The second is that it will not let me enter Task Manager. Control, Alt, Delete will only let me switch user, but I am the only user!
I am presumably also the Administrator but I am told that my Adminstrator has turned off Task manager! How can I act as Administrator?
Oh! How I wish that Windows XP was still my version. Microsoft should be prosecuted for all the trouble they have caused, and I am beginning to think the same about Acer.

lotvic 16:38 15 Jan 2009

I don't have Vista but it sounds to me like UAC is 'on'

Microsoft Vista How-to's click here

Turn User Account Control on or off click here

AndySD 16:38 15 Jan 2009

Are you sure you are an administror go Start -> control panel -> User Accounts -> manage other accounts.

Sea Urchin 16:38 15 Jan 2009

First this should sort out your task manager, but also sacn for malware

click here

To switch off click on the symbol at the end of that row "Switch User, Log Off and Lock"

Sea Urchin 16:39 15 Jan 2009

.....or even Scan for malware

ernieernie 16:53 15 Jan 2009

Thanks Sea Urchin. Taskmanagerfix did the job in an instant. I also get the full list of turn-off options.
PC Advisor Forum to the rescue yet again!

Sea Urchin 17:03 15 Jan 2009

But don't forget to scan for malware which may well have caused this problem - I would suggest Malwarebytes from

click here

Download Update and Run

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?