task bar gone walkies?

panhandle 00:17 06 Jan 2006

Now this is silly - after a complete re-install of Windows, SP2, online updates, Office & iupdates, and returning the laptop to my daughter, as soon as she booted there was no taskbar - and I cannot think how to restore it or even why it disappeared.

I guess somehow it has got auto-hide set? But how do you restore it, she says right clicking on desktop offers no appropriate options.

I do not have the machine in front of me - but ideas would be great. Thanks.

Skyver 00:25 06 Jan 2006
  panhandle 00:34 06 Jan 2006

I did tell her to try and get the mouse to turn to double arrow at the bottom of the screen, like to drag the taskbar back up - no luck, no handles either????? It just is not there, not stuck at the bottom. Mind you, I haven't seen it myself!

Any other possibilities?

Skyver 00:37 06 Jan 2006

Has it been moved to the top or sides? Does she get the start menu when she presses Ctrl + Escape?

panhandle 00:41 06 Jan 2006

It cannot have moved [??] between my house & hers, I hope not anyway!
Ctrl/Esc is a new one on me, just tried it, yes it brings up the start menu, ie equivalent to Start Button on Taskbar.

I guess I ought to leave this til I have the thing back here in the morning - I'll post again then rather than waste anyones time.
Thanks for now!!

Thalmus 00:46 06 Jan 2006

can you bring up task manager?

If so, click file > new task, and type explorer and see if that brings it back

007al 00:53 06 Jan 2006
  Ski-lo 03:18 06 Jan 2006

I'm guessing you probably already know this but just in case you don't....

In order to bring up Task Manager press:
alt+ctrl+del

Hamish 09:32 06 Jan 2006

Look at click here

VoG II 12:30 06 Jan 2006
  panhandle 13:05 07 Jan 2006

Thalmus, I got Taskbar & start menu through explorer, and the, Hamish, found that quicklaunch had been unchecked - thus removing taskbar from the desktop.
I'm sure that did not happen by itself! Thanks for the tips.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017