Targetted with excessive "spam"

Chris348 08:02 10 Jan 2007

Hi Everybody

I was wondering if you could shed some light on a problem I'm currently experiencing with Outlook Express 6.
For the last few months I've been receiving unsolicited e-mails giving me advice on share issues in USA and offers on various drugs and health supplements.
Up to now I've simply deleted them unread but it's reached the stage now that not only am I receiving upwards of 150 per week but I'm also getting notifications that mail wasn't delivered, indicating that some of these e-mails are originating from me. These show the originating e-mail address as "[email protected]" where the letters in front of the @ sign differ from e-mail to e-mail. The bit behind the @ sign is my address.
I currently run AVG and Spyblaster on my PC and both are up to date but neither indicate that I have a problem.
A short term solution would be to change my e-mail address but I'm reluctant to do this as I have held it for over 5 years.
I would be grateful for any help you can give me with this.
As I work away from home and I’m on “dial up” I only log on a couple of times a week so if you do respond to me please be patient, I will get back to you.

Kind regards

Chris348

brundle 08:15 10 Jan 2007

You're not being targeted.

Alternative Email client with excellent spam filter;
click here

`Learning` spam filter for OE (free); Keir K9 (click here)
Another freebie, never used this myself - Spamfighter (click here)

or Mailwasher (click here) which can be used to delete the mail directly from the server.

rawprawn 08:36 10 Jan 2007

Change your email address, is the only way to stop it.

Andsome 08:38 10 Jan 2007

Change your e mail address then install Mailwasher Free.

Chris348 18:35 13 Jan 2007

Thanks for your help chaps. Unfortunately you've confirmed my worst fears in that I need a change of address. However, I hadn't heard about "mailwasher" so I'll give it a go.

Legolas 18:50 13 Jan 2007

I use mailwasher and it is very good. It doesn't stop spam but it intercepts it before it is actually downloaded onto your computer so it stops your system from becoming infected with any nasties.

bof:) 19:00 13 Jan 2007

can also recommend Mailwasher, I've been using the free version for some time and its very good.

Chris the Ancient 19:31 13 Jan 2007

But...

DON'T bounce the unwanted emails. It just tells the sender that the email address exists - and you'll get more!

Additionally, if you like MailWasher, you can try - for free - the Pro version for up to 30 days and then upgrade to the Pro version (at a cost)The Pro version is more adjustable and will even show the first several lines of the email to make sure that it really is spam.

The people at MailWasher offer excellent service. Twice, I have accidentally messed up my MailWasher and lost my registration code. They even have that covered by a link and you get your code back withing 24 hours.

CtA (A confirmed MailWasher user)

Chris348 07:52 17 Jan 2007

My thanks go to everyone who's offered advice for this. I'm going to have to take the easy way out and alter my e-mail address. I was reluctant to do this as I've held it now for nearly 7 years and a lot of my contacts use it regularly. Still, it doesn't take too long for these things to build up again, does it?

luthier 09:39 17 Jan 2007

I also have a freeserve address and started getting spam. I got round it by accessing my mail via webmail (go to the orange web site and log on to your email from there). When you are in webmail, you can use Orange's own spam filter which is very effective. I get less than one per week now. All the 'spam' flagged by Orange goes into the Junk mailbox in your webmail account and is automatically deleted after 7 days. Hope this helps - it did for me. Good luck.

luthier 09:46 17 Jan 2007

Should also have said that the spam is filtered so it never reaches Outlook Express - which I still use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone