Targa Laptop Reformat problem

terrym 21:35 13 Oct 2010

I have old Targa Laptop 1600 running extremely slow so tried refomatting using original Win XP Home Edition but only got to 20% progress bar showing after running more tha 24 hours. Powerd off and can reboot okay again but still need to reformat to remove crud build-up etc and start new.
Suspect CD Rom Drive failure no vibration or light flicker to indicate anything moving.
Apart from trading up, any suggestions / ideas as I suspect getting compatible replacement drive next to impossible. Is replacing a DIY job or best left to others.
Thanks in advance.

northumbria61 22:40 13 Oct 2010

Why not replace with an "external" usb cd/dvd drive such as this - click here

terrym 22:56 13 Oct 2010

Yes I have thought of using external usb cd/dvd drive but I dont think it will reformat from it as I think it has to be compatible or intergral with the laptop itself.

northumbria61 23:23 13 Oct 2010

It is a simple job to replace a laptop CD/DVD drive. It is normally only held in by ONE screw. View this video here - click here

woodchip 23:29 13 Oct 2010

Use the CD to do a Repair after you delete stuff you do not want. "Repair" Start with CD in Drive and choose Setup, Windows will look for a Operating System and show what it finds, Click on what it finds then press R for Repair. CD drive needs to be working and in BIOS it should be the first drive Computer looks at to boot from, followed by Hard Drive

woodchip 23:32 13 Oct 2010

Just a question does the Laptop have four buttons top right big power button others a bit smaller and four usb "at the back" on the same side as the buttons

woodchip 23:34 13 Oct 2010

Also three Partitions C,D,and E restore plus its only a 30 gig hard drive 256mb memory

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?