TalkTalk wont set up after a re install

jack 19:40 18 May 2009

One of my flock Reinstalled XP and now find that TalkTalk software will not set up correctly.
Where previously the connection has been via a LAN
Now the software insists no LAN is available and insists on USB-
All the card rattle test have been carried out
OK set t go-
The soft ware processed to insatall - check the Modem Gives the OK and proceed to Netwwork which always fails.

So He goes round again and this may be the Modem check fails.
So thus far he seems to be in a closed loop of failure
Any ideas

One thing I tried was to remove the software and tried the Windows Install Internet manually.

Thus came up straight away - All set up
Which of course it is not.

bremner 20:05 18 May 2009

I would guess that the ethernet adapter has not had the drivers installed.

Go to Device manager and see if there are a collection of yellow exclamation marks shown.

You will need to install the chipset drivers for the motherboard.

jack 20:15 18 May 2009

I just phoned him to check- When asked he was not sure if the Ethernet was MoBo or PCI.
But that has got him looking instead of sitting in despair and dejection ;-]

Ashrich 21:15 18 May 2009

There won't be anything to set up again if you are using a router , just get the Ethernet port working and you'll be connected again .

Ashley

woodchip 21:46 18 May 2009

Why use TalkTalk Software? I am on it but do not use the software. I use my old 3Com Wireless Router and setup the ISP without the Software you only need to start the Connection Wizard put the User in and Password User is like a E-Mail the house Phone Number using it before @talktalk.net then the Password

woodchip 21:49 18 May 2009

jack

sorry about the above you need to put the User and Password in Router Settings Setup Page. Drivers are not needed

Stuartli 00:30 19 May 2009

..along with an MTU configuration of 1432.

You will still need the LAN drivers to be installed with an Ethernet linked router.

Muergo 00:18 20 May 2009

I complained about faulty modem I had with Talk talk and the consequent dropouts. They sent me a new D-link Router/modem for nothing, try it.

jack 10:39 20 May 2009

He very likely will do that, though he has also tried a spare router[Voyager 105] I had kicking around, still no joy.
However the latest from him is the - Joy- all went in and he got on line- FOR HALF AN HOUR - before it all dropped off again.
One conclusion is the possibly the house/ outside wiring is old and therefore suspect.
So he is going to rewire his internals- and if that does not do the job get onto TT to get the outside cable sorted.

Stuartli 11:38 20 May 2009

>>get onto TT to get the outside cable sorted.>>

Although TT will be the first port of call, the ultimate responsibility is with BT.

If the wiring is found to be OK then your family member will probably face a bill...:-(

jack 13:45 20 May 2009

'Although TT will be the first port of call, the ultimate responsibility is with BT.'

Actually 'Open Reach'- the BT sub the looks after the Network.
But as I have discovered the place to start is with the Supplier.
BT my 'supplier' for example will not check a 'suspect line' that I was trying to connect to - because they were not 'one of theirs'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?