TalkTalk or not?

CFC23 19:31 24 Mar 2009

I have been with Zen for some years and it has been a fast and rock solid connection.
As with most of us there is now a pressing need to reduce costs!
I am very close to my exchange which has LLU with TalkTalk. A call from their team says that I should get about a 10 meg connection, free evening and weekend calls and some free international calls. £16.99.
Searches on this forum give good reports, and I am just checking how things are at present.
Saving money is good but I would kick myself if I ended up with an inferior connection.
What say you?

cocteau48 19:54 24 Mar 2009

I have been with TT for nearly two years and can honestly say that over the past few months their technical support has improved greatly.
They also have an excellent members forum which is monitored on an ad hoc basis by their tech guys.
If you have a read at some of the postings click here it will give you a better idea as to whether they can provide the level of service which you may be looking for.
(bearing in mind,of course,that like most forums it is only the problems which people tend to post about)

peter99co 19:56 24 Mar 2009

My Friend is on TalkTalk but had to phone them to set up his Modem when he first installed for some reason. Otherwise he seems quite happy with his service. I think he also has free phone calls 24 hours a day.

woodchip 20:21 24 Mar 2009

I am on that, but its a 8Meg not 10 and good connection and download speed round about 6 to 7 at a 1.8 miles from exchange.

Best move I have made to save money and on speed and connection

yaesu 20:26 24 Mar 2009

Hi, if you're a Sky subscriber then Mid at£5 a month is a good bet. No problems for me for nearly a year. Average speed is 4-5 Meg but I am 3 miles from exchange. Good luck, yaesu

Stuartli 21:08 24 Mar 2009

As most forum members are aware (!) I've been with TalkTalk since April 2006, when it introduced the UK's first combined broadband, phone and line rental package at a remarkably low cost (TalkTalk International3).

It's now called International Anytime and costs me £20.49 a month, although TT has now broken the package up into segments so you only obtain what you need.

For instance, if you are not at home every day in the week it makes sense to go for the cheaper free evening and weekend calls.

It's still the best package in the UK and I'm getting a consistent 7Mb or just over connection on an "up to 8Mb" service.

Apart from the free AnyTime UK phone calls, you also get free AnyTime international calls to 36 countries (very handy as, for instance, we have friends who regularly go to Teneriffe).

CFC23 21:27 24 Mar 2009

My thanks to you all,I thought that may have been the reaction I would get.
I think there are some price increases in the pipeline, but still good value. Think I will have to give it a go!

tonyx1302 21:30 24 Mar 2009

I totally endorse Stuartli post. I was in the same predicament as you CFC23 but after reading many forum members comments and acting on Stuartli advice I moved to TT.about 8 months ago. It was just so easy...no MAC number or anything to worry about as they do it all..and after 8 months, I get a steady 6/7 MB, 24/7 phone calls, 36 free International destinations and line rental all for just over £20 a month !!! Just brilliant and I know every month that my BB,calls etc costs are fixed.
Jump in with both feet and good luck

Tony

CFC23 21:33 24 Mar 2009

And Again!!

CFC23 07:36 18 Apr 2009

After reading all your posts I have changed to TalkTalk.
Early days yet,but no problems so far and good speed!
Thank You

CFC23 08:35 18 Apr 2009

No I didn't,I am getting 6.5 so not bad. I am tempted to try,site says I may get 15!! if I pay.

I think it was sales talk that did not mention that the top speed would cost more.

The only slight hitch is that I was told I would get the free International calls which will soon be chargeable, if I joined now. Not mentioned in welcome pack,so I have to sort that out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?