TalkTalk fast service

Muergo 13:45 31 Aug 2009

If you want to skip the first layers of broadband customer service dial 0870 087 8046 one number higher than usual line, this gets you their second line service, just below engineers and gets results quicker.

Stuartli 15:01 31 Aug 2009

In respect of which particular aspects of broadband queries?

Muergo 15:12 31 Aug 2009

I have been getting broadband service fluctuations from zero via aprox450 kb to a staggering over 12000 (off the scale) on their speed checker for months now, and have done all the checks they indicate, but apart from moving house there seems to be no resolution so far to this on/off service.
I am very pleased overall with TalkTalk as my bundle gives me inclusive worldwide calls plus broadband for £25 a month including line rental and caller display, and my calls list runs over three pages.
It is just this unreliability that bugs me so finding this number has cut down going through various other people before getting to the heart of the matter.
We shall see what transpires from now, currently I have a usable 3200kb.

Stuartli 18:03 31 Aug 2009

About six months ago my TalkTalk speed checks were reaching 10Mb at times on an "up to 8Mb" LLU connection.

I assumed at the time that TT was paving the way for what would now seem to be its recently introduced Speed Boost bonus (i.e. the fastest speed your line can achieve).

Muergo 18:20 31 Aug 2009

What we need here in Windsor is optic fibre, I am on old copper wires strung from a pole across the road and over 3 miles from the exchange which the BT site says it can only achieve 3.1 at best.
My router modem is about 80 ft from the main input on an extension.
I am probably lucky to get what I do, but it's the intermittent dropout that is disconcerting, I could put up with the slow speed if only it was consistent.
They are sending an engineer to have a look, maybe I will have to rewire my house feed.

Stuartli 18:34 31 Aug 2009

Have you done the exchange check at TalkTalk?

click here

21CN is coming over a wide area in the near future but, as far as I'm aware, the fibre optic side only applies to the exchanges. See:

click here

Stuartli 18:42 31 Aug 2009

By the way, TalkTalk's LLU service is normally ADSL+2 enabled, but capped at 8Mb unless you pay the additional fee.

My modem router indicates an ADSL2+ trained modulation level and is able to handle such a service.

Muergo 18:54 31 Aug 2009

Yes, checked it out, max is 3100kb and we are an ethernode exchange, what is that? Does this mean that a better connection exists in the box at the end of the road but not getting to me.

cocteau48 19:18 31 Aug 2009

Fluctuations!

About three months ago,for some inexplicable reason,and I have raised the matter on the members forum without a resolution being found,the speedtester on the members service dashboard started to produce very erratic results,(tonight for example it is showing 170 kbps/570 kbps down/up) .... but only when using the Firefox rendering engine.
Change to IE tab in Firefox and the results are accurate , at around 4Meg d/l , and in line with the likes of the BBMax/DSL Zone speedtesters.

Wierd but no one at TT seems to have an answer for it.

Muergo 20:59 31 Aug 2009

My erratic readings cannot have been because of firefox alone, because they reproduced almost exactly when I ran the PCA Broadband tester, although that was using firefox site, but todays readings were reproduced at the distant end by TT's own measurements, irrespective of mine.
What TT also said was that it was peculiar that the upload figure was higher than the download.
At the moment my readings are normal at 2950kb
Will see what happens overnight.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des Légendes en ligne ?