Talktalk emails

TN 14:46 15 Dec 2006

Is anyone else having a problem receiving TalkTalk emails in the last few days. The odd time I receive my emails I receive all the outstanding ones but about 19 times out os 20 I get the following message:

Task 'mail.talktalk.net - Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) : 'Outlook is unable to connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

In my Mailwasher program I am told that the connection times out perhaps due to a firewall - not so as my Comodo Firewall is programmed to accept Talktalk emails!
Any suggestions appreciated. I am running Windows XP, Outlook 2003 and Mailwasher Pro.

Stuartli 15:03 15 Dec 2006

There have been the odd occasions recently when TalkTalk has not gathered my e-mails from a Tiscali account, but 10 minutes later (the time set to check for any new messages) they dutifully arrive.

sea urchin 17:08 15 Dec 2006

I'm having problems today - now - trying to collect emails. When I type "click here" into the browser address it flashes "service unavailable" at the end of the address line. When trying to collect them via Webmail it rejects my address and password as invalid. So I suggest that the email server is down. No problem sending though.

TN 16:04 16 Dec 2006

Just ahd a very nice phone call from TalkTalk and they confirm that they are having a problem with the email server and hope to have everything back to normaml by next Tuesday. Keep our fingers crossed

cocteau48 16:25 16 Dec 2006

Thanks for the info TN. After six days of on/off/on email service I did get an email from them today apologizing for the "INCOVINIENCE", (their spelling not mine),but Tuesday was not mentioned.
They also have an automated message on their phone line to the same effect.
I have only lost email service during the evenings up to today when it went awol at 11.30am.
Hope you are right about Tuesday!

goffer23 00:13 17 Dec 2006

In trying to access their webmail due to lack of success with Outlook, the following comes up:
'Due to the technical difficulties we have been experiencing today we have taken the webmail services down for emergency essential maintenance.
We expect the outage to last from 8pm on Saturday 16th December to 10am on Sunday 17th December.
Again we would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused during this period.'
Hope that helps.

cocteau48 10:20 17 Dec 2006

The goalposts have just moved : notice on webmail page now reads 12pm!!!!!

TN 10:33 17 Dec 2006

Any advance on 12 pm?????

cocteau48 10:45 17 Dec 2006

I'll take your 12pm and raise you 2 hours !!!!!
Reckon it's a safe bet.

TN 11:11 17 Dec 2006

I am going for the ouitsider - Tuesday afternoon - who'll give me 100 to 1???

Stuartli 11:21 17 Dec 2006

I'm collecting e-mails quite happily from TalkTalk from three different accounts at the moment...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone