Is Talking Buddy a virus?

Halmer 10:21 06 Nov 2004

I've just run E-scan for the first time and it is telling me (I think) that I have a virus but I have to pay for e-scan to remove it.

Is this anything to worry about please?

curlylad 10:26 06 Nov 2004

Can we have some more info please.
Do you have Anti Virus , spyware , ad aware , stinger or any software of this nature ? If so have you ran these and what did they come up with ?

Graham ® 10:30 06 Nov 2004

You may be a victim of a scam where a program such as E-scan will 'find' something and ask for money to remove it. It's called a false positive.

Graham ® 10:36 06 Nov 2004

Just had a browse, Escan are a respectable company. Is this the program you have, or is it E-scan?

Graham ® 10:39 06 Nov 2004

Talking Buddy click here

Halmer 11:34 06 Nov 2004

I have XP, AVG, Zone Alarm and update them regularly as I do Windows update.

Spybot and Ad Aware don't mention Talking Buddy when I run them.

Graham the program is e-Scan by Kapersky if that means anything. I downloaded it as a big Zip file following a recomendation on this board.

Halmer 11:37 06 Nov 2004

I can only assume that I've inadvertently downloaded it or my lad has installed it.

It's not in Add/Remove programs or listed under Start/Programs so can I just delete it via Windows Explorer because I don't want it on my PC?

Halmer 11:42 06 Nov 2004

there's a folder under Programs and one application file, nothing else. I assume that it's safe to just dump it as the file has not been executed?

VoG II 11:44 06 Nov 2004

It is supposed to be there click here

Halmer 13:06 06 Nov 2004

you

Halmer 13:06 06 Nov 2004

so I'll delete the folder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?