Talk Talk & Wireless router

iscanut 10:06 27 Sep 2008

A friend is abroad on holiday and currently has Talk Talk broadband with a wired router ( non wireless) supplied by them. I want to buy her a new laptop with wireless connectivity for when she gets back plus a new wireless router. Can any Talk Talk user let me know if there are any settings that I should be aware of for the new router apart from the usual ones of user ID, password etc. I will probably get a Netgear DG834G ( which I use ) but I am aware that Talk Talk will only work with this model if it is version3. Any help will be appreciated so that I can set it up for her return.

cocteau48 10:24 27 Sep 2008

I use a Belkin router as opposed to Netgear and the installation CD set up all the appropriate settings for me but having said that TalkTalk advised me to make the following changes:

Connection: change MTU from the default setting of 1490 to 1432
DNS: Change from 62.24.218.223 and
to
62.24.199.13 and
62.24.199.23 respectively

...and Belkin advised:
Channel and SSID: change wireless channel to 11.

It may be worth checking these settings and asking TT if they would apply to your new router.

Their helpline has improved no end and if first line support cannot answer your queries you are given a phone no.(still free) for their second line tech support (who are I assume based in Ireland as everyone whom I have spoken to has been Irish)and who are very helpful.
Another approach is to use their members forum which is also monitored by their tech support guys and is equally good.

iscanut 10:29 27 Sep 2008

Thanks for that. I don't have access to the original installation CD, but will try TT support. I had been put off using them in view of the early horror stories when TT was first started ( I do not use TT !). I did not think I could access members forum as I am not a "member". Thanks for your response.

cocteau48 10:34 27 Sep 2008

They may not be able to help you without the account holders details which may be a problem if your friend is abroad.
The CD which I referred to was the Belkin setup CD not the TT installation CD.

iscanut 10:37 27 Sep 2008

Have had a look at the forum and found two articles specific to the wireless router that I propose to use. Found all the info I need. Thanks.

cocteau48 10:52 27 Sep 2008

Excellent ....cheers!

Stuartli 10:56 27 Sep 2008

It is important to configure MTU as 1432..:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?