Talk Talk Internet via NetGear DG834 problems

eyedeeuk 11:40 07 Nov 2006

Hey,

I'm pretty new to setting up a networks - even a simple one, but it seems pretty straight forward yet this problems got me stumped... I just purchased a Netgear DG834 ADSL Firewall Router with 4 port 10/100 Switch. I'm using it to connect both my Apple Mac (non-intel G5) and my PC to the internet which I am getting from talk talk (free broadband package). My talk talk internet went live on the weekend, so I plugged in the router, and followed the Net Gear CD's setup instructions. That's where the problems began. I connected the ADSL filter in front of the modem cable going into the Router, and the router wouldnt recognise an internet connection. When I disconnect the filter, the router finds a connection immediately. The ADSL filter is a dual (modem and tel output) one but I am only using the upstairs extension telephone line for broadband. I'm currently having to connect to the internet via the router without an ADSL filter installed.

Anyhow, after 3 attempts at installing the CD setup software, it finally installed correctly, but the internet connection I am receiving is painfully slow (5 mins to load up a page) and the router intermitently refuses to find random web pages. I have accessed the Net Gear routers administration info by opening up Internet Explorer and typing in the IP address, but all the descriptions seem to say it's working a-ok. Ive tried connecting new ethernet cables and modem cables but it's still just as slow. I've also gone to Internet Tools within Internet Explorer, Connections, LAN connection and tried turning the "auctomically detect proxy settings" option on and off, but it's nearly as slow either way - it's a little faster accessing some web pages with the auto setting turned off.

Has anyone else experienced this problem or could anyone offer advice on how to sort it out?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Cheers

[email protected]

oldbeefer2 10:06 08 Nov 2006

Original problem looks like a duff filter. You do need a serviceable filter at each point that any telephony equipment is plugged in (they separate data from voice). Overall problem you have could be a simple as that?

eyedeeuk 14:20 08 Nov 2006

Thanks for that oldbeefer2. Ive gone and purchased 2 new filters which I will try out tonight. I didnt have a filter on my downstairs line, so maybe it's as simple as that. I'll report back tomorrow or tonight if I manage to get online! Thanks again.

eyedeeuk 11:41 09 Nov 2006

Hi oldbeefer2
I plugged a micro filter into each tel socket and removed the long cable infront of the micro filter going to the router and all is working a-ok. Thanks very much for your help matey.
Nathan

oldbeefer2 11:59 09 Nov 2006

Goodoh!
richard

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?