Taking a UK spec laptop to the US - power source

Sawdust 15:29 25 Jan 2006

My daughter is going to the US to study for 4 months and needs to take her laptop (HP Pavilion). The only travel adaptor I can find states, "do not use with earthed appliances, only use with Class II equipment, ie appliances connected through two-core mains supply cable".

The adaptor supplied with the laptop states "connect to grounded outlet" and the power source cable connects to the adaptor via a 3 pronged connection. I assume therefore that this cannot be used with the travel adaptor. We are therefore a bit stuck, seeing as she is going on Friday!

Any help would really be appreciated.

De Marcus™ 15:32 25 Jan 2006

It shouldn't matter, the uk plug earth pin that goes into the US adaptor will be made of plastic and therefore not be able to ground on any adaptor.

beynac 15:37 25 Jan 2006

I think that the voltage is 110v in the US.

De Marcus™ 15:38 25 Jan 2006

Most laptop power bricks are capable of 110-240v input. Worth checking.

beynac 15:39 25 Jan 2006

The adapter probably has no earth pin. The warning is because the appliance will not be earthed.

Stuartli 15:40 25 Jan 2006

As far as I am aware the majority of laptops automatically adjust to the voltage on which they are being used - it's recognised that they are a portable device.

The manual or specifications will clarify whether this is the case.

Gongoozler 15:43 25 Jan 2006

You will almost certainly find that on the power unit the label says that it is suitable for 100 to 240 Volts and so is suitable for US mains. I think the "earthed appliances" warning is simply telling you that the earth lead doesn't connect through to the computer, and so the power unit shouldn't be used for an appliance that requires earthing.

rmcqua 15:44 25 Jan 2006

Don't worry. I travelled to the USA almost monthly for years with my UK laptop and power supply and travel adaptor, with no problems. The laptop power supply output (19 volts or so) is SELV (safety extra low voltage) and doesn't rely on the earth connection for its integrity.

woodchip 15:49 25 Jan 2006

My info for what it's worth. I am on a Medion Laptop at the moment running on mains the Mains adapter say's on the bottom 100-240 volts input

Sawdust 16:11 25 Jan 2006

Hi thank you for your responses. I'm okay about the voltage it's just the "earthing", My old laptop just has a two pronged connector to the laptop adaptor but my daughter's has a three pronged connector so I'm assuming this is earthed, and with the travel adaptor saying "do not use with earthed appliances" it's got me worried.

Forum Editor 16:20 25 Jan 2006

In fact I'll be there in ten days time, and the power charger works perfectly via one of those universal adapters on which you rotate a face plate to the appropriate country. I bought my mine in Dixons at Heathrow several years ago, and it works all over the world.

Your laptop is designed to travel, it will be fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017