Taking laptop to Spain

  guapa 19:17 21 Sep 2006

Is it possible to use a laptop with mains electricity in Spain. Do I need any special adaptors or equipment?

  rodriguez 19:20 21 Sep 2006

Only an adapter that will allow you to plug a UK 3 pin plug into a European 2 pin plug. I bought one from Sainsburys for about £6 and it goes all over the world including USA and Australia. The voltage in Europe is about the same as ours, so you won't need to convert the voltage. If you take it to the USA or any other country with 110v then you'll need a voltage converter as well because these adapters don't convert voltage. But if you're only going to use it in Spain a £6 plug converter will do.

  De Marcus™ 19:22 21 Sep 2006

Most laptops can take a 100-240v supply, check the power supply brick.

  guapa 19:27 21 Sep 2006

(appropriately spanish-sounding names)
Thanks for the advice - problem solved.

  rodriguez 19:28 21 Sep 2006

PS I don't know if you've ever seen any European power outlets, but there are variations in them. In Spain they mostly use a round one with 2 pins, in France there's an extra pin that sticks out of the outlet for the earth and in Holland the sides of the round socket are slightly flat. But this shouldn't be much of a problem as most plug adapters are shaped to fit all of them.

  Noldi 19:44 21 Sep 2006

Normaly the power cable for the laptop power supply can be changed for a local type without problem. Just go to the local store and purchase the cable. I travel around a bit and have the cables for the most frequent visit countrys.


  Jackcoms 20:25 21 Sep 2006

But don't forget that you won't be able to use your laptop from the mains for about 3 hours every afternoon in Spain.

Their power generating stations will be taking a siesta. ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?