taking forever to open vista

howard64 16:58 14 Jun 2014
Answered

I am looking at an Advent 4401 laptop with vista home on it and 2GB ram. When switched on the password screen comes up quickly. Once that is entered the screen goes black with the mouse arrow in white and it sits there for a long time about 40 minutes before the desktop screen opens. I have tried system restore but it is the same with all the options. I have tried booting from the vista cd and startup repair but it cannot find anything wrong. Apart from forjmatting and reinstalling vista can anyone suggest a way of improving things? I put another sata drive in and it started xp very quickly.

Diemmess 17:12 14 Jun 2014

Having never progressed beyond XP I can only suggest simple things hoping they work for Vista.

Have you looked at the startup tab in msconfig (Start button, Run, msconfig)

See what items will be loading at startup, most can be disabled avoiding delays while all these things load in turn. AV scanning automatically every time will certainly slow things dramatically

howard64 19:02 14 Jun 2014

thanks Diemmess I have taken everything except the virus checker out using msconfig.

BRYNIT 20:50 14 Jun 2014

The hard drive could be failing. CLICK HERE for instructions on how to check the hard drive.

mole1944 05:59 15 Jun 2014

If it were me i'd do one of the following (1)make sure your virus program is not running at start up. (2) save all your data for safety's sake then do a clean up with Glarry utilities. (3) Do a complete re install saving data first to a freshly formatted drive. (4)Do like i did for my laptop buy and install a SSD (solid state drive),i boot up Vista 32 in 55 seconds.

Secret-Squirrel 09:25 15 Jun 2014

Howard, a couple of things for you try:

1) Do you get the same problem when you boot into Vista's Safe Mode? If you don't then that proves the culprit's a third-party startup program or service. Post back for further advice.

2) Check Vista's Event Viewer for errors or warnings that occur during that forty-minute period when the bootup stalls. If you find anything that looks significant then copy and paste the event details here for me to look at.

howard64 06:57 20 Jun 2014

thanks all - the f8 does not get into a recovery section and the owner cannot find/does not remember getting any disks with it. I will try and find a replacement cmos battery for it and then do a clean install. Thanks again.

howard64 08:27 20 Jun 2014

thanks Jock1e - the cmos battery is dead and the first thing I do is set the time and date. I have taken everything except the virus prog out using msconfig. Safe mode is the same as ordinary.

dangerm50 08:47 20 Jun 2014

go to start run type msconfig and hit enter go to start up untick everything except anti virus and apply and click ok and restart pc Then see if difference possible too many things in start up

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?