Tablet pc cannot connect to wireless router

Driftlane 09:11 17 Sep 2008

Tablet pc running Windows XP tablet edition trying to talk to wireless router (Draytek Vigor2600G ADSL), which is configured for 64 bit WEP encryption, hidden SSID and access limited to named MAC addesses. Tablet PC configured for IP address and DNS address to be obtained automatically (from the router). Wireless is integrated on the tablet PC and the network connection is configured through Windows; there is no OEM driver software.

Tablet PC originally connected to the router for some time without problem. Then one day it would no longer connect for no apparent reason; nothing significant had changed that we can recall. Other PCs in the network remained connected to the router without a problem. Tablet PC can ping itself but cannot ping the router. Tablet PC can, however, see SSID of neighbouring network. Have checked that router still has MAC address of Tablet PC and it does. Have tried re-entering WEP encryption key on Tablet PC, but problem remains. Rebooting router does not solve problem. Tablet PC runs Windows Firewall but disabling this does not solve problem.

Anyone got any ideas?

mgmcc 11:34 17 Sep 2008

1) Remove the existing "profile" that has been saved within your wireless settings and which is used to connect automatically to your wireless network when it is available.

2) Enable broadcasting of your router's SSID.

3) "Connect" to the network. In other words, run the wireless adapter's software, scan for "Available Wireless Networks", find and highlight the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and select the option to "Connect" to it. You should be prompted to enter any WEP or WPA encryption key and, once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

4) In the "Properties" of the connection, ensure the box is ticked for "Connect even if this network is not broadcasting".

5) Re-hide the SSID.

Driftlane 10:05 18 Sep 2008

Thank you very much for your rapid response. Your solution seems to have resolved the problem. However, one further question before we close this one off: we cannot locate the box mentioned in your box 4, "connect even if this network is not broadcasting". It sounds a useful one to tick, but when I click on Propertis for Wireless Connections I cannot see the box.

mgmcc 12:03 18 Sep 2008

I always use Windows' Wireless Zero Configuration to manage my wireless networking, in preference to third-party software provided with a Wireless Network Adapter.

When the W.Z.C. service is enabled, if you right click the Wireless Network Connection (in the Network Connections folder) and select Properties, the properties sheet that opens has three tabs, the middle one being "Wireless Networks". Select that, highlight your own wireless network in the Preferred Networks section and click the Properties button. In the Association tab of the new properties sheet that opens, there is a box to tick "Connect even if this network is not broadcasting".

If you're using the adapter's own wireless networking software, I cannot tell you where to find a similar option.

Driftlane 20:54 18 Sep 2008

Thanks once again for the rapid response. We ARE using Zero Coonfiguration when setting up the wireless connection on the Tablet PC.

We have followed your instructions on a laptop connected to our wireless network and can see the tickbox for "Connect even if this network is not broadcasting". We follow our instructions on the Tablet PC and the tickbox is not there.

I guess they had to cut out some function to fit Windows onto a tablet pc and this must be one of those little things that got the chop!!!

Anyway, our connection problem has been solved so many thanks once again for your expertise so rapidly provided.

I will now close this issue. Over and out!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?