T-mobile and sending Tiscali emails???

grumpy-git 17:03 13 May 2010

Done some searching & I believe others have run into this problem.

Just bought a mobile & set it up for 2 Tiscali email addresses and 1 using my own domain.

Can send emails from my domain to both Tiscali email addresses, the Tiscali addresses can send emails to each other, but not to the address of my domain.

Is this the expected result?

g-g

mgmcc 17:46 13 May 2010

The general rule is that you must use the SMTP server of the ISP that you've connected to the internet with. You should therefore be using an SMTP server provided by T-Mobile.

There are two basic exceptions to this rule:

1) If your own ISP's SMTP server supports "SMTP Authentication", you sign in to send mail similarly to signing in to the POP3 server to receive mail, i.e. with a Username & Password. You can then use any internet connection.

2) You can send mail via the *recipient's* SMTP server. Therefore, you can send mail to a Tiscali address using Tiscali's SMTP server, you can send mail to an Orange address using the Orange SMTP server and so on. If your own ISP is Tiscali and you're using their SMTP server in your mobile settings, this is why you can only send to a Tiscali address.

grumpy-git 18:34 13 May 2010

Thanks mgmcc.

I am using smtp.t-email.co.uk for outgoing server.

(I won't confuse myself by answering too much in one go!)

grumpy-git 22:44 13 May 2010

Referring to point 1 - the user name & password are used for signing in, just as I do with my normal pc but the sort of error message I get is:-

(T-mobile IP) is not allowed to send mail from tiscali.co.uk

I've tried authentification "on" & "off".

mgmcc 07:49 14 May 2010

If you are using T-Mobile's SMTP server, I cannot suggest why messages with an address at your own domain aren't sent if those with a Tiscali address are.

>>> (T-mobile IP) is not allowed to send mail from tiscali.co.uk

I don't understand that. Using T-Mobile's server with your own domain address, the point about "FROM tiscali.co.uk" doesn't come into it. ???

grumpy-git 08:45 14 May 2010

<If you are using T-Mobile's SMTP server, I cannot suggest why messages with an address at your own domain aren't sent if those with a Tiscali address are.>

Probably me confusing things here. E-mails from my domain will go anywhere, the Tiscali ones will only go to another Tiscali address, if I try & send a Tiscali email outside of Tiscali - that is where the following applies:-

>>> (T-mobile IP) is not allowed to send mail from tiscali.co.uk

What really confuses me was that I could do all of this with a netbook and a Vodafone usb dongle, and there was no problem with Tiscali emails being sent outside of Tiscali.

Hope that clarifies the problem?

mgmcc 11:45 14 May 2010

>>> the Tiscali ones will only go to another Tiscali address, if I try & send a Tiscali email outside of Tiscali

I'm missing something here because you're not *in* Tiscali to be sending outside of it.

You are connected to the internet with T-Mobile, you are (or *SHOULD BE*) sending messages with T-Mobile's SMTP server and the messages are going to a non-Tiscali email address. Where does Tiscali come into the equation?

As I understand it, you have three email Accounts set up. Regardless of the email address used and regardless of the POP3 server from which messages are retrieved, all accounts must be set up with T-Mobile's SMTP server for outgoing mail.

grumpy-git 22:47 14 May 2010

Spent more time "searching" for further information on this problem, but seem to be none the wiser.

The email address that is from my own domain has the following SMTP details:-
mail.mydomain.co.uk
That is exactly the same as the incoming server.

For the Tiscali ones, incoming is:-
pop.tiscali.co.uk

This means all accounts are not set up with T-mobiles SMTP server, just the Tiscali ones.

Just tried my old netbook with Vodafone broadband dongle, and that now won't send Tiscali e-mails. Admittedly I haven't used that for sending e-mails for a month or two, but emails were received without problems. Then disconnected the dongle & tried it with my wi-fi and it was fine.

Searches are showing that other people are finding it easier to receive than send, but I don't know the full details of their problems.

Perhaps this is a "new" problem with Tiscali, I don't know.

Tried joining the T-mobile forum a few days ago, but that didn't work either. It seemed a sensible place to seek an answer. At least I tried.

g-g

mgmcc 07:40 15 May 2010

If your own domain server allows messages to be sent via the T-Mobile internet connection, can you use that with *all* of the accounts, or does it only allow you to send from an address at your own domain?

I don't think the problem is to do with Tiscali, but with the T-Mobile SMTP server. What happens if you try to send to a different address which is unrelated to either your own domain or Tiscali?

[If you want an address to send to for testing purposes, email me via the yellow envelope beside my name and I'll let you have one of my addresses.]

mgmcc 07:50 15 May 2010

>>> Just tried my old netbook with Vodafone
>>> broadband dongle...
>>> ...Then disconnected the dongle & tried it with
>>> my wi-fi and it was fine.

When trying to send with the dongle, had you changed the SMTP server to Vodafone's?

grumpy-git 09:08 15 May 2010

Thanks for following this!

Just off out for the day, but a quick response is that when using Vodafone dongle all settings were the same as I would use if at home using desktop pc through the router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017