sytem restore doesnt work

puma22 11:18 13 Sep 2006

Hi, following on from an earlier problem, i tride to do a sytem restore. The only restore points refered to:-
windows defender checkpoint
advanced windows restore point.

Neither would restore the pc to an earlier configuration.

First, is there any way i can do a restore and second have i got it set up wrong?

Thanks

€dstowe 11:29 13 Sep 2006

I have found System Restore to be, let's say, less than reliable and I tend now to use a full system backup in its place.

If you find SR not to be working, it can often be sprung back into life turning it off, rebooting and turning it on again.

To do this go to Control Panel -> System -> System Restore. Tick the box to turn off, reboot and then switch it on again.

rawprawn 11:35 13 Sep 2006

If neither would restore your computer, there is no way you can do it unless you have another backup program such as Acronis.
Regarding the setup Open System Restore and on the left click on "System Restore Settings" Make sure there is no tick in the "Turn off System Restore" box and that the drives listed are Monitoring.If they are try and create a new Restore point reboot,and then check it by restoring your computer to that new point. If that works you will be OK, if not come back for further instructions.

puma22 12:30 13 Sep 2006

Thansk for the advice. The reason i needed to restore was that i had inadvertanlty lost all my mail and contacts. I found a pst file which backed it all up nicely for me though.

I'm a bit worried that i wasted all morning (and your time) on this. What is the best method of backing up all my settings? I used to use norton goback till it really started messing with the system. All my important work docs are backup up on both anther hdd and a removable memory stick. I would like to have a one-stop quick backup method though!

Edstowe, i kind of followed your advice on resetting system restore, but i got a popup saying that all previous restore points would be deleted and i chickend out!

rawprawn 12:42 13 Sep 2006

edstowe's advice is sound, if they are not working they are better deleted and starting again as they have become corrupted.
I recomend Acronis True Image9 as a backup program
click here However If you are on XP Home there is a backup program on the cd but it is hidden. We can tell you how to access it if you want to try, but Acronis is much better.

rawprawn 13:00 13 Sep 2006

I would also test it as I suggested to be sure that the program itself isn't corrupted. If it needs repairing run a system file check
click here

puma22 14:32 13 Sep 2006

thanks for that, I wasnt questionning edstowes' advice at all, but having spent all morning putting right my stupid errors, i wasnt in the frame of mind to ignore a pop-up warning. I've done as edstowe suggested now (thanks edstowe).
Rawprawn, am currently running sfc /scannow, but everything seems to be working OK.
Acronis will have to wait until payday now!

Thanks for all the advice

bythor 15:15 13 Sep 2006

I had to do a restore recently and met the same trouble. Rebooted into safe mode, (F8 on boot-up), ran restore from there and all's well now.
Might not be the same problem as yours but may be worth a try if not too late.

puma22 19:48 13 Sep 2006

In my infinite wisdom, after running sfc/scannow and doing as edstowe suggested, I decided to unistall and reinstall office, just to make sure that all the files here were OK. Now whenever i run any oart of office, I get a box up 'windows installer' preparing to install.
I have tried to repiar/unistall but i get an error message saying that a 'patch' is missing.
I have tried a system restore and gone back to the ariest one available (which was before i messed with office) but it aint helping any.

Any advice pleeessse

rawprawn 20:35 13 Sep 2006

click here Download Windows Clean up Utility, use it to "Clean up" (Uninstall) Office then reinstall Office

puma22 21:02 13 Sep 2006

worked a treat....now the next issue (sorry)is that office wont now update. I've been on the ms site and gone through this click here
Still not working.

Any help appreciated

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?