System32\Autoexec.nt The system file is not suitab

peter 11:14 17 Jan 2005

I have recently re-installed Windows XP on my system and now get the message 'System32\Autoexec.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications' when I try and run two Dos programmes trhat I use frequently. I have followed the Microsoft advice and copied the Autoexec.nt file into the System32 folder and that fixes the problem. However, when I reboot the system the Autoexec.nt file disappears from the directory. Any ideas how I can copy the file into the Ststem32 directory and make it STAY there on reboot.

Many thanks Peter

Gongoozler 12:53 17 Jan 2005

A posting in another forum suggests that when you copy the Autoexec.nt file into the System32 you should make it "Read only".

pete-290318 12:56 17 Jan 2005

when i followed the microsoft instructions, there were 3 files listed to copy ... have you installed all 3.

dont know whether this makes a diference but I have had no further problems.

GBL 12:58 17 Jan 2005

I had a similar experience and was advised to go to this site, click here and install the XP Fix exe file, which solved my problem.

GBL 13:00 17 Jan 2005

My question was;- System32\Autoexec.nt The system file is not suitab - posted on 15/1.

peter 13:31 17 Jan 2005

Many thanks for prompt responses and advise.

Geoffy's suggestion to download the XP Fix exe file sems to have done the trick.

Many thanks again

seanquinn 16:19 17 Jan 2005

I followed geoffy's suggestion and rane the Fix.exe but the warning is still appearing every time I re-start.

Gongoozler 16:33 17 Jan 2005

seanquinn, have you tried my suggestion?

seanquinn 16:41 17 Jan 2005

Gongoozler is right, but I found the answer here:click here

There is fresh autoexec.nt file available in C:\Windows\repair. Copy it to Windows\System32 and make it "Read Only".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?