system32 missing can't repair

Mbube 12:43 29 Jan 2007

Hi,
A few days ago I downloaded some free software for converting video formats. Yesterday after using this program successfuly I then started using photshop when my pc appeared to crash, the program would not respond or close so I pressed reset.

When my pc tried to restart I got a message saying that file \windows\system32\config\system is missing or corrupt it told me to insert my XP (Pro) cd and select repair. I pressed 'r' when prompted however it didn't seem to do anything or suggested I type exit to exit repair.I have tried doing this several times without getting anywhere and now when I try and boot from the cd I get a blue screen error:

Stop:0x00000050 (0xF7AB94AB,0x00000000,0xF7AB94AB,0x00000000)
partmgr.sys-adress F7AB94AB base at F7AB7000, datestamp 00000000 it suggests I restart and press f8 to boot in safe mode however this doesn't work. I have read previous threads on the subject of system32 problems and consulted the Microsoft help pages but I am not sure how to follow the advice because of the stop error.

Any help to get my pc running again would be most welcome. Also is it likely that the free software caused the problem and should I be mor careful about downloading software in the future. Thanks in Advance

recap 12:52 29 Jan 2007

I have looked on Google (click here), and most of the links seem to point to bad SDRAM.

Mbube 14:54 29 Jan 2007

Tried removing the older of 2 memory sticks I am no longer getting the stop error. However when I try and repair XP from the cd I press 'r' as prompted and get Microsoft Windows XP(TM)Recovery Console the recovery console provides sytem repair and recovery functionality
Type exit to quit recovery console and restart the computer. Should it say this at this stage as it doesn't seem to do anything else, this is what it was doing before I was getting the stop error.

I have printed off some instructions from Microsoft but I am not quite sure how to proceed do I just ignore it and type in the instructions provided by Microsoft. Thanks

Tried removing the older of 2 memory sticks I am no longer getting the stop error. However when I try and repair XP from the cd I press 'r' as prompted and get Microsoft Windows XP(TM)Recovery Console the recovery console provides sytem repair and recovery functionality
Type exit to quit recovery console and restart the computer. Should it say this at this stage as it doesn't seem to do anything else, this is what it was doing before I was getting the stop error.

I have printed off some instructions from Microsoft but I am not quite sure how to proceed do I just ignore it and type in the instructions provided by Microsoft. Thanks

Mbube 14:58 29 Jan 2007

I didn't mean to submit that response 3 times, I have been haveing real trouble trying to get it to submit at all, very annoying when you've typed a long message and it disappears

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:04 29 Jan 2007

From the Setup CD-ROM

1.Insert the Setup compact disc (CD) and restart the computer. If prompted, select any options required to boot from the CD.

2.When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts; choose the repair or recover option by pressing R.

3.If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access from the Recovery Console.

4.When prompted, type the Administrator password.

5.At the system prompt, type Recovery Console commands; type help for a list of commands, or help commandname for help on a specific command.

6.To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit.

Using Recovery Consul
click here
or
click here

Have you got to 5?

Pamy 15:04 29 Jan 2007

When you get the prompt in recovery console ie, the flahing curser, type chkdsk /p

BurrWalnut 15:08 29 Jan 2007

When you press 'r' to repair (recovery console)there are a limited number of dos-like commands that you can type, e.g. chkdsk, copy, etc.

Unfortunately, none of those commands will cure your .....\config\system error message.

You have a corrupted registry and unless you have software like ERD Commander, your only option is to repair Windows by pressing enter (not 'r') when the first message comes up when booting from the CD, later you type 'r'.

The repair will reinstall Windows but all the service packs and fixes that you have applied will have to be reapplied. You won't lose any data.

Pamy 15:10 29 Jan 2007

chkdsk /p will replace config fualt

BurrWalnut 15:49 29 Jan 2007

No it won't, click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

5 best 3D model websites

iPhone 8 vs iPhone X

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache