system volume information

madaboutplants 02:39 27 Jan 2007

what is system volume information? this has 12.6gb against it and when i opened it, it shows 12.6gb of _restore against it. when i opened restore folder, it shows folders giving size and number starting with RPxxxxx.

radi8or 07:06 27 Jan 2007

madaboutplants,

Some info
click here

HTH

SLAYER 08:34 27 Jan 2007

and here click here

madaboutplants 15:41 27 Jan 2007

radi8or and SLAYER. tks. but why are there so many gb in this? are these folders that have been restored automatically when there has been a system failure?

SANTOS7 16:23 27 Jan 2007

No, it is the size of the folder that contains your restore points that is set by default depending what size your HDD is.
you can alter the size you want to allocate from control panel>performance and maintenance>system select system restore tab click settings, you can change allocation there..

madaboutplants 17:48 27 Jan 2007

hi there again, SANTOS7. just asking pl. i opened one of the files and it contained one of the document which is already in "my documents", so why is it also in SVI? it has lots of folders in it. some have registry keys which i know i must not touch. it also has photographs which are also in "my Pictures" folders.

if i understand it correctly, this SVI stores things for me in case i need to restore something in the future. am i right?
so by changing allocation i have to decide what i want in SVI?

madaboutplants 17:58 27 Jan 2007

hi SANTOS7. i went into system restore. it has not got "settings" but has "disk space to use" which is set on max at 12%of HDD which is approx 13gb.

PaulB2005 18:31 27 Jan 2007

I wouldn't mess about too much in those folders.

"so by changing allocation i have to decide what i want in SVI?"

No System Restore manages itself. Just set the amount of Disk Space you want to reserve (the more space the longer the history is recorded) and leave it alone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?