System turn-off

NickyK 08:27 16 Jan 2005

My system has decided to turn off/cease to recognize my anti-virus/firewall etc. It hasn't deleted them, it's just turned them all off. Obviously, I have switched them on in order to go on line, but I haven't done anything to make them switch off. In fact, I haven't actually done anything interesting this year. Any ideas?

ICF 09:06 16 Jan 2005

I have mcafee and sometimes it does not show up in the task bar but if I click on mcafee in the programs list it appears.

NickyK 09:48 16 Jan 2005

Thanks, ICF. I have adopted a similar policy. Every time I click on the icon, it claims to be working. However, and this does puzzle me, my server keeps telling me that my Firewall (and anti-virus) are not switched on. Now, I know the Mcafee is on because I have a great big red M in my system tray. I have had to switch the anti-virus on manually. Apart from defragmenting, I haven't done anything to alter my settings. Now, all my start-ups have switched off. My wallpaper changer has given up the ghost, I have to switch on the anti-virus, and a coupla other utilities have decided to go to sleep.

I know I am probably being a bit pathetic, but all I want is safety when I am on-line, and for my computer to do what I tell it to do, not what it thinks I want it to do.

Iam resolving this strand, not because of lack of replies. but because I guess I'd better learn for myself and sort it out. Also, I am very upset now, and that's not good on a forum. Thanks anyway.

Serendipity777 10:02 16 Jan 2005

Hey NickyK just as a pointer and im sure you have already but you should really run a spyware, antivirus and a online scan for trojans which can be found at microsoft.com, as for the spyware - adaware have a good removal programme... just a suggestion :)

kakasnarta 10:26 16 Jan 2005

maybe it has something to do with sp2...have you got that installed?.i also have mcaffee and you cant have both firewalls running at same time ...if you have sp2 you need to disable windows firewall to work properly......i have no probs this way.

NickyK 05:30 24 Jan 2005

It turned out to be a conflict with Mcafee speed-cleaner. Once I deleted the new progs, everything returned to normal. And, yes, I ran every scan I have.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017