System sounds annoying me

Peter Lanky 18:47 05 Feb 2010

I have system sounds (damned annoying and pointless IMHO) turned off, but I keep getting this stupid drumming sound every time I move around windows in Control Panel or on the rare occasions I use Internet Explorer.

Is there a hidden place in Windows where sounds are generated (in order to really annoy people)?

Using W7 Home Premium.

MAJ 20:07 05 Feb 2010

"Is there a hidden place in Windows where sounds are generated (in order to really annoy people)?"

Not that I can think of, but try muting the sound to see if they still appear.

Peter Lanky 20:34 05 Feb 2010

Well, that will certainly get rid of the sounds, but it doesn't really help me.

lotvic 21:17 05 Feb 2010

Try on the Windows 7 forum click here or the link on left - bottom one under FORUMS:

MAJ 21:22 05 Feb 2010

"Well, that will certainly get rid of the sounds, but it doesn't really help me."

Maybe not, but it helps us to know if muting the sound gets rid of the sounds, because then we know that they're not coming from the motherboard speaker, but I'm sure you already know that too....

Peter Lanky 22:48 05 Feb 2010

Definitely not from the motherboard .

woodchip 23:18 05 Feb 2010

You can disable these in Control Panel

lotvic 00:14 06 Feb 2010

Control Panel, 'e will need 'is earplugs in because of the annoying drumming noise - that might be speaker feedback/interference, MAJ is trying to find out where it is coming from

Peter Lanky 09:36 06 Feb 2010

I shall recap.
System sounds are disabled in control panel by defining system sounds as 'no sounds'.
All my desktop themes are set with 'no sounds'.
When my speakers are off I have no sounds.
When the speakers are on, every time I click a link in Control Panel, or in Internet Explore, but not Firefox thankfully, I hear a single drum beat.
There seems no logical reason why this should happen.

KPC 10:03 06 Feb 2010

Do you have the architecture theme set.

KPC 10:07 06 Feb 2010

where everytime you click on a link on a webpage it makes that drum sound, and also using the back buttons, etc. So annoying. I simply changed the theme. It seems the architecture theme is the only one with this ridiculous noise.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017