System Shutting Down when processing..?!

stupeedo 11:34 12 Nov 2005

Whenever I attempt to do anything 'strenuous' (i.e. FM2006, converting files, Disk Cleanup, GoogleEarth, etc) with my machine, it suddenly turns itself off after a few minutes of processing - without warning!

It's almost like having a power cut. Is this a typical symptom of overheating?

I have a 3.2Ghz Intel CPU with 1GB RAM (more than enough to do the not-so-strenuous tasks above).

Any ideas how I can resolve the solution? I've just started my second season in the Premiership... :)

Diodorus Siculus 11:45 12 Nov 2005

Yes, certainly sounds like an overheating problem.

Check that fans are working ok.

How old is the PC?

stupeedo 11:53 12 Nov 2005

It was made in September 2004, little over a year old. How do I go about checking the fans are all ok?

Diodorus Siculus 12:12 12 Nov 2005

The easiest way is to open it up and have a look.

Also a can of compresses air is helpful for blowing off dust. Ensure the machine is switched off...

stupeedo 11:41 13 Nov 2005

well I've taken the back off and given it a good clean out, it seemed to be OK for a bit but then it shut down again last night (whilst playing FM and again whilst converting mp3s).

Any ideas on what to do next?

Diodorus Siculus 11:43 13 Nov 2005

When it has been running for a few hours, look in the bios for the system temperature - should be under "system health". See what it is reported as.

The heatsink / fan may need changing.

Having said all that, there may be something more than over heating causing the problem...

stupeedo 11:47 13 Nov 2005

quick question - how do i look at the BIOS when the machine is already running (only ever looked at it on start up).

ta

Diodorus Siculus 17:31 13 Nov 2005

When booting up, you should see a messge "press del to enter setup" or the like.

Sorry about any confusion - what I meant by "running for a few hours" was for you to restart and then enter the bios.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires