System Shutdown

SABRE 10:02 24 Aug 2003

Just purchased a new computer and have copied entire contents of my old hard disk onto the new one including the operating system (XP Pro). Have also moved from dial up to broadband (BT Openworld).
Problem is that when I connect to the net, after about 1 minute, I get the following message: -
'This system is shutting down. Please save all work in progress and log off. Any unsaved changes will be lost. This shutdown was initiated by NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM'.
Message: Windows must now restart because the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service terminated unexpectedly.
The system then shuts down. Anyone, any idea?

PhilipH 11:04 24 Aug 2003

You probably have the blaster worm for info and removal advice click here

xania 13:05 24 Aug 2003

Hold back a tick.

'have copied entire contents of my old hard disk onto the new one including the operating system (XP Pro)' - no way!!

If you've got different motherboard and spec, as you almost certainly will, you must install your OS afresh. Anything less than this will create all sorts of problems. Of course, it seems that you have also added this virus, but - don't bother to remove it - just reformat your HD and start again.

T0SH 19:05 24 Aug 2003

Before you try to connect online turn on the XP firewall, this should keep you online, then goto windows update the fixes are listed there

Cheers HC

Lacombe 19:39 24 Aug 2003

I had same problem three times.
Turned out to be the Blaster Virus.
You should have plenty of time to download the patch and removal tool before Shutdown message appears.

Then go to Safe Mode and run them from there.
Then restart in Normal Mode.
Worked for me.

(If you have alot on your hard drive you might not be able to run rmeoval tool before Shutdown occurs...hench going into Safe Mode)

Kitz E Kat 21:23 24 Aug 2003

have to agree , you are transfering all the drivers from your old box etc, and all the rubbish that was on it, including a virus!!!

If you were just putting in a new HD maybye, but on a new box,no.

Format and start afresh.

That way your eliminating a lot of problems before they start.

Good luck

Kitz E Kat

Jester2K II 21:36 24 Aug 2003

Definitely MSBlaster worm...

Give away is "when I connect to the net, after about 1 minute, I get the following message"

Download Stinger on a clean PC click here

Download this patch on a clean PC click here

Run Stinger install the Patch, update your AV or get free AV at click here

SABRE 00:25 25 Aug 2003

Did run the three virus fixit tools (Blaster, SoBig & Welchia). The Welchia virus was found and it stated that it had been fixed. Norton Anti-virus is up to date as well. After finding/fixing the virus,I thought all would work well but still get same message. I am now more inclined to do a complete re-format of the H Disk. Will update on progress.

Jester2K II 20:45 26 Aug 2003

Have you applied the MS Patch?

If not then you will get the virus come back again once its cleared!!!!

click here

SABRE 11:23 29 Aug 2003

Used all of your responses and problem solved. Thanks again!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?