System restore won't work. Please help!!!!!!

cabourn 10:22 19 Oct 2006

I have major problems with my Windows XP pc. When a user logs on it takes a minute to get to their desktop (slow boot) and then nothing is working. You can only see the desktop picture, there are no icons and I cannot access the taskbar or start menu.

I have tried system restore (restore to 2 different points) through the task manager but that has not worked.

I am really worried because I have a lot of data (not backed up) which I can't afford to lose.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jackcoms 10:25 19 Oct 2006
  keith-236785 10:29 19 Oct 2006

your sould try system recovery but i have never done that so wont be able to advise on it, someone else will surely help there.

as for the data, if all else fails and you get to the point where you have to format (lose everything) then i would suggest using a live linux such as KNOPPIX to boot into a windows type interface where you can burn your daya to cd's (use rewritables as you will probably need a few) and then you would be able to format your system and start from scratch in the knowledge that your data was safe (please verify your files on the cd before formatting just to make sure).

try out other peoples suggestions with respect to repairing windows first though as it might not be nescessary to bother with the live linux.

good luck

Jackcoms 10:36 19 Oct 2006
  rawprawn 12:57 19 Oct 2006

click here printn this out and follow the instructions. You do not lose data using this method

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires