System restore won't show previous month?

dipsy 10:33 26 Jan 2003

I am running Windows ME and due to a few problems have tried to look for a restore point prior to January 2003 but when I try to access the previous month by clicking on the left arrow, nothing happens? I know there were restore points available and system check points are still being made but I don't know what's gone wrong.

rawprawn 11:16 26 Jan 2003

Look at your system restore settings & make sure disk space is set at maximum, although I don't think that this would bring in last months saved restore points. I think it is just a question of space available. I you look at your restore points early in feruary I think you will see the back end of january.

AubreyS 12:03 26 Jan 2003

I have been told that system restore on Windows ME is very unreliable and should not be trusted. I had a very similar problem where I made a new restore point. I then tried to go back to it a few minutes later and it had disappeared.

OBE-1 12:22 26 Jan 2003

if you go to the windows update page you will find a patch for this problem on there, if you install it you should not have this trouble again
and you will find that it's one of the best system restore out there to use

dipsy 16:20 26 Jan 2003

Sorry to be a pain but could you help me find the patch as I have already looked and could't find anything. I have searched through the knowledge base as well but couldn't get an answer.

Kryten 16:27 26 Jan 2003

If you look at the dates in System Restore the Bold one's have restore points and unless you have a very big hard drive, or the computer is switched off for a while, you won't get much more than two weeks worth of restore points.

-pops- 16:58 26 Jan 2003

Bear in mind that the System Restore is a "rolling" facility i.e. as a new one is added the oldest one drops off the end. Personally I'm not surprised that you can't get back to last month, it is the 26th of this one - that's quite a few records to keep, even if it only makes a restore point once a day.

Brian

Shanks69 17:01 26 Jan 2003

For he is correct. Applied the patch myself some time ago. Dont know the link sorry.

dipsy 17:22 26 Jan 2003

I understand the "rolling" principle that as a new point is made an old one drops off but I have disk space set at maximum and as I have only created 2 restore points myself this month on the 24th Jan, wouldn't think I had used up the disk capacity and, since I noticed this problem the system has created it's own checkpoint this morning. I will see what happens at the turn of the month and take it from there. Thanks for everyones help anyway.

jediknight007 17:25 26 Jan 2003

Did you clear all your previous restore points apart from your last one? I do it frequently since it takes up space on my hard drive when I'm installing programs. I have Windows XP Professional by the way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone