System restore wont restore?

night 20:34 16 Jan 2007

Having placed a CD containg all My Pictures the computer closed down and on restart I was told the computer was recovering from a serious error and reported it. However thinking it best to restore the computer tells me it cant? whats the answer in order to check out why this has occured and can it be rectofied ?

rawprawn 11:14 17 Jan 2007

If system restore will not restore on any of the points already made. Open System Restore click on System Restore Settings/Turn System Restore Off/ reboot, and turn System restore back on, it should make a new restore point that will work. Test it.
(you will lose all previous restore points, but since none work you have nothing to lose). If by any cahnce that doesn't work, System Restore can be repaired using a system file scan.go to Start/Run/type sfc /scannow (Watch the space between sfc and /) hit enter. You will need your XP CD.
I don't know why your computer had a serious error report, it could be one of many things. Try and fix Sysatem Restore first.

ianeon 11:40 17 Jan 2007

click here - This link will give you instructions on how to repair/reinstall System Restore on XP

night 13:56 17 Jan 2007

Thanks to all who replied systme restore is now working ok thanks

€dstowe 14:05 17 Jan 2007

Don't rely on System Restore if you have anything of value on your computer. SR can and does fail as you have found. It has let me down several times. Fortunately, I always have backups of my data which I keep up to date and find them much more useful if something does go wrong.

Davith 15:35 15 Apr 2007

This posting refers to windows XP I have no Restore points in ME and above suggestions do not correct the problem any further help appreciated!!

provider 2 15:55 15 Apr 2007

This any help? click here

Terry Brown 16:02 15 Apr 2007

The problem with system restore is when you defrag the computer the markers for the files are lost, although it will (sometimes) show the restore point, it can not normally be accessed.
Terry

Davith 22:06 15 Apr 2007

I did a defrag recently so this could explain why I have no Restore points but I cannot create any either. Have tried disableing Creat restore points, rebooting then re-enableing but still am unable to create any restore points. How do I get the capability back?

€dstowe 06:40 16 Apr 2007

Do you have more than one hard drive on your machine (even a partitioned drive)?

If so, SR will not work properly.

Change the settings in System Restore properties to work on your main "C" drive only.

Davith 08:43 17 Apr 2007

No I only have a c: drive. My version of ME was fully updated with Microsoft Updates until the support for ME finished. Should I have to rebuild my disk to get round the restore problem, how can I get the rebuilt version up to the same updated state as the origional? I presume that if I rebuild and go to Microsoft update site it will just indicate that there are no updates available!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?