System Restore won't load

zant 11:42 11 Oct 2008

I’m using XP Home on my PB Easy Note laptop and System Restore won’t load. All it says is. “Run a DLL as an App has encountered a problem and needs to close”. All Microsoft updates have been installed.
Could anyone help please?

chub_tor 11:57 11 Oct 2008

Have You Tried Reinstalling It?

First, make sure that "Hidden Files and Folders" and "Protected Operating System Files" are being shown by UNCHECKING the boxes in Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/View tab.

Next....

Windows XP- You can usually make system restore run with these steps:

1. Click Start->Run->Type "C:\windows\inf" (without the quotes)
2. Look for a file named: "SR.INF" and RIGHT click on it
3. Choose "Install".
4. In the Files Needed dialog box, click Browse. Locate the Sr.sys file in the i386 folder of the Windows XP CD, (or a good option for those without a Windows XP CD would be to browse the computer itself in the “C\i386” folder) click the “Sr.sys” file, and then click OK.
Follow the prompts, Reboot and System Restore should be ready to use.

Hope this helps.

zant 15:48 11 Oct 2008

Thanks chub-tor for your answer. Have followed your info to the letter but it won’t work for me. I can find the folder ok but it makes no difference.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:49 11 Oct 2008

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

zant 13:42 12 Oct 2008

Hello Fruit Bat, Thank you for all your suggestions which I have tried to no avail. Looking in the registry on my LTop and DTop indicates both the same, but what ever I try it won’t work for me. I think a reinstall of XP is perhaps the way to go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?