System Restore will not restore

Barnacarry 11:42 15 Jul 2009

I just tried to use system restore and highlighted a previous date but after going through all the stages it rebooted and said that it couldn't restore and that no changes had been made. Is there a reason for this?

Marko797 12:27 15 Jul 2009

I had this happen last week. The great advice I received from here was to do it in safe mode. This is achieved (on XP anyway) by tapping F8 on re-boot, then go to system restore. My system restored doing it this way. As to reason why it happens, I have no idea.

gardener 12:45 15 Jul 2009

System restore can be very problematic, it's never worked for me so I use Acronis True Image which has saved me from disaster a few times. It costs, but it's worth it. Cheapest I can find is £23.97p from Amazon UK.

T I M B O 13:07 15 Jul 2009

I have had quite a few periods when system restore does not work, so i dont bother with it anymore. Acronis is a good idea for sure, but that depends when u do the image. If you have another hard drive then it could be time to do a backup>>click here This software is totally free, but to do the Acronis that will cost. I am due to receive my 1TB hard drive within the day or so , i shall then install xp, fresh install & all the drivers & updates, then i shall make an Acronis image. I cant remember for certain, but this might have a free version of nortons ghost so as you can make that image>>click here
Has been sometimes since i have used this software. Maybe somebody else can advise with minipe?

Barnacarry 13:24 15 Jul 2009

Marko797. I am trying this as I speak. will let you know how I get on. Thanks

gardener. I have all my files backed up to an external HD and I know if all else fails I can re-install xp (and all the hassle that goes with it) so I will have a look at Acronis True Image. Thanks

Barnacarry 13:34 15 Jul 2009

Marko797. No joy, I'm afraid. It will not back up to a previous date in safe mode so I shall have to format and start again. Thanks to everyone for your help, I may be some time!
Barnacarry

gardener 13:43 15 Jul 2009

Just a thought, if you do buy Acronis you can turn off System Restore and save some disc space.

Muergo 18:53 15 Jul 2009

I have been using Acronis for over two years to back up onto an external hard drive. The very good advice I was given here was to do complete backup and then set incremental to do it each day, I originally made the mistake of cloning the C drive before incremental, but the first method is the proper way, probably from Stuartii and others.

System restore has never worked for me except in Safe mode, don't know why.

Stuartli 20:52 15 Jul 2009

With today's triple figure GB drives it's not really an issue.

Just turn the Default setting of 12 per cent down to one or two per cent, depending on the size of the hard drive.

Barnacarry 07:58 16 Jul 2009

Thanks again to everyone for the info, much appreciated.

Barnacarry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017