System restore - will I lose photos & docs ?

Creditman 18:09 10 Jan 2005

If I restore to an earlier date, will I lose all photos & other documents added since that date ? Thanks

Androcles 18:12 10 Jan 2005

No you won,t but it,s good practise to back up the stuff that,s important to you anyway.Regards.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:12 10 Jan 2005

No not unless the data has been added since the restore point

i.e. restore to 17 30 9-01-05 then anything added yesterday evening or today will be lost.

Creditman 18:21 10 Jan 2005

Androcles & Fruit Bat /\0/Thanks for prompt replies, but they seem to contradict each other ! If I restore to, say Dec.10 2004, will I lose photos & documents added since that date ?

Ordy 18:25 10 Jan 2005

no all doc's and photo's remain

rawprawn 18:27 10 Jan 2005

If your Photos and documents were added after 10th Dec, you will lose them. If you want to restore back them up onto a CD before you restore.

Creditman 18:29 10 Jan 2005

Ordy & rawprawn - Thanks but your answers also contradict each other !!

rawprawn 18:30 10 Jan 2005

Actually when I think about it I think they will be OK, it is Programs added that you would lose.

pc moron 18:32 10 Jan 2005

The following is taken from WinXP Help and Support:

System Restore does not cause you to lose your personal files or password. Items like documents, e-mail messages, browsing history, and the last specified password are saved when you revert to an earlier state with System Restore.

System Restore protects your personal files by not restoring any files in the My Documents folder. It also does not restore any files that use common data file name extensions, such as .doc or .xls. If you're not sure whether your personal files use common data file name extensions, and you do not want the data files to be affected by System Restore, save them in the My Documents folder.

If a program was installed after the restore point that you are restoring to was created, the program might be uninstalled as part of the restoration process. Data files that are created with the program are not lost. However, in order to open the files again, you must reinstall the associated program.

You won't lose anything that's stored in the My Documents folder and its sub-folders.

Androcles 18:33 10 Jan 2005

Creditman,perhaps did not explain clearly enough,if you wish to system restore to 10th dec,anything put in before that date is lost,anything you have put in after that date is retained.You also have the option of undoing the restore if it does not go right.Regards.

Sans le Sou 19:06 10 Jan 2005

Data files should be protected whenever you restore to. As the help file says, you may lose the ability to use the data until you reinstall any lost programmes. However it is sensible to backup any valuable stuff just in case the restore function goes tits up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017