System Restore in W2K ??

daba 22:24 22 Jun 2008

Just upgraded an ME PC with Win 2K.

noticed a hidden folder called _RESTORE.

Is this the ME system restore cache?
Can it be deleted in Win2K Pro?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:31 22 Jun 2008

Is this the ME system restore cache?
Yes

Can it be deleted in Win2K Pro?
you will need to set 2k to show all hidden files and folders then it should delete.

daba 22:38 22 Jun 2008

yes i had set to see hidden files, thats how i noticed it - so W2K has no system restore feature then ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:47 22 Jun 2008

Windows 2000 doesn't use a MS-DOS prompt for restoring your system

If your having problems with windows2000 you could try whats called "last known good", too do this reboot your computer & just immediately after the windows logo appear on screen key in F8. You should then be presented with a black DOS like screen with various options showing on it. Select the option "last known good" and press the enter or return key, this will load the last backed up win2K registry along with all your previous settings. Windows will then reboot and if the problem isn't Major the system should load again as normal.

If windows2000 is damaged or has system files missing or corrupted you can run a repair process from the orginal CD that windows came on. Place the CD in the drive & reboot the computer windows setup should appear, & I think if my memory servers me there is a repair windows option on the menu.

The other option is, if you can still load windows2000. Open the control panel, administrative tools, backup option. Within the backup option you should have the option to restore the system from a backup, or restore (as in system restore).

**You might also be able to restore windows & your data IF you have taken the trouble to make good quality backup's. Again use the system backup tool which comes with win2k and use the restore from a backup option.

**I never use the windows system restore I dont like it, its a very poor quality tool. It has dangers too! should your system get a virus the system restore can reinfect the machine too. Its much better IMO to make your own backups without the restore feature. Also you can turn off restore & it save system resources and can make the system run quicker too.

daba 22:52 22 Jun 2008

just as i thought, thanks for the confirmation, wasn't sure if System Restore was implemented in W2K

thats a Gig going to be saved on this smallish HD.

thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone