System restore turning it'self off

hiwatt 08:13 05 May 2008

Morning folks,system restore keeps turning it'self off.I can recreate a manual restore point ok but when you turn the computer off/on it turns it'self off again.Any ideas.Os is windows vista.Thanks.P.s computer is up to date and scanned with anti virus/spyware.All ok.

rawprawn 08:28 05 May 2008

Try running a system file scan Start > Run > type sfc /scannow Using Vista you need to run sfc /scannow from the command prompt opened by right click and choose "Run as administrator"

hiwatt 09:07 05 May 2008

Thanks rawprawn.That was what I was going to try first.I just thought I'd ask incase someone knew what it could be.It was ok untill doing a partial reinstall.Running sfc /scannow now.Will post back the results.Thanks.

hiwatt 09:26 05 May 2008

Sfc /scannow did not find any integrity violations?Any ideas folks?Thanks.

hiwatt 18:34 05 May 2008

Hi folks,I've just now came in and switched the computer on and again there are no restore points.I've had a look in services and can't find system restore.Any ideas what can be causing this,it's driving me mad.Thanks.

skidzy 18:56 05 May 2008

Do you have Norton installed ? this can overide SR.

hiwatt 21:02 05 May 2008

No skidzy,no Norton.Avg 7.5,spyware blaster,spybot s&d and windows defender.Thanks.

Les28 22:35 05 May 2008

Don't know whether this site re third party tools running at boot time in Vista and missing restore points is any help

click here

whether you could try to find which item it may be by unticking startup items in msconfig startup tab one at a time until you manage to keep restore points could be an idea, have to be disconnected from internet of course when stopping anti-virus at boot time.

Also is anything mentioned in Event Viewer that might give a clue?

Les28 15:14 06 May 2008

Reading your posts again hiwatt, did you say you were looking in services for system restore, as far as I know there is no system restore in services with Vista, I think the Volume Shadow Copy service works as the system restore service with Vista, I think the default setting for VSC service is manual and started.

Y Wuri 15:27 06 May 2008

Are you dual booting with another operating system?

hiwatt 18:19 06 May 2008

I think you've cracked it.I disabled packard bell SMP from starting at boot up via msconfig and I have a system restore point after booting up.Thanks folks.I'll tick this resolved for now.Thanks all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?