System Restore Space

iqs 15:08 15 Sep 2007

Hello.I have just used PC Pitstops PC health check.

The report listed two minor issues.The only issue which requires guidance is the amount of allocated disc space for System Restore.Currently I have the following free space allocated for each drive...

C: 12% 36113MB
H: 12% 28616MB

Should I reduce the % for each drive.I usually create one restore point a week.Roughly how big is a single restore point.Any help appreciated :-)

Thanks

Clapton is God 15:56 15 Sep 2007

The 'normal' allocation for System Restore is 12% of disk space.

Unless you are running low on available HDD capacity, why do you want or need to alter your allocation?

wee eddie 16:01 15 Sep 2007

Why do you need a restore section on the H Drive.

Restore only takes the OS and Software back to a previous point and 12% is normal.

One ordinarily has the OS and Software on the C Drive and uses other Drives for Files. Unless you have a Raid Array in which case I'm out of my depth, but would have expected the Drives to have adjacent letters.

Stuartli 16:27 15 Sep 2007

The Default for System Restore is 12 per cent - this was established at a time when hard drive capacities were very modest compared to today's three-figure GB levels.

I have my 60GB drive set at four per cent, which has proved more than adequate.

Stuartli 16:27 15 Sep 2007

A restore point is normally/generally established whenever you install/uninstall new hardware or software or create one manually.

Clapton is God 16:34 15 Sep 2007

"A restore point is normally/generally established whenever you install/uninstall new hardware or software or create one manually".

Not strictly true.

On my XP PC if I don't install/uninstall new hardware or software or create one manually the system automatically creates a System Checkpoint roughly every 24 hours (assuming you leave the PC running 24/7 as I do).

wee eddie 16:56 15 Sep 2007

I am set to 12% and have in-excess of 3 months, of daily Restoration points, worth.

I'm not sure that I really want to go back this far but as I still have another 120GB of Free Drive Space, I see no problem

woodchip 16:56 15 Sep 2007

This is how I use Restore turned off for all, exsept the Operating System Partition. This I have se to 8% it does not need to be on for other partitions

Stuartli 18:14 15 Sep 2007

>>the system automatically creates a System Checkpoint roughly every 24 hours (assuming you leave the PC running 24/7 as I do).>>

My system is on for at least 15 hours a day - the only restore points I have for this month so far are the 10th and 14th.

Last month it was daily for about 10 days due to a series of installations/uninstallations...:-)

iqs 19:03 15 Sep 2007

all and thanks for the help.

I'm happy to leave the allocated space for each drive at 12%.I have plenty of free HD space on each drive.

The reason for the thread was just to clarify the results from the test ,and their recommendation was correct.

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?