system restore question

dhg 19:01 10 Sep 2009

Did a full recovery a month ago.For interest have just looked at restore points in SR and it only shows 6 points only going back 1 week,should it not have points back to recovery,There is over 6gb space on drive. Its Vista os. This is not a problem just curious.

mooly 19:07 10 Sep 2009

Restore points take a lot of space.
15% of the space is reserved for restore points, but as the disc fills up I think that figure comes down.
When you say "over 6gb space" is that free space ? That's a small amount to have free.
Restore points can use 300 to 500mb a time.

dhg 19:32 10 Sep 2009

pie chart shows 33%used 66% free

Stuartli 19:38 10 Sep 2009

System Restore points, unless done manually, are usually only created after installation/uninstallation of hardware and/or software.

The Default System Restore capacity is 12 per cent, a figure set at the beginning of the decade when hard drives were tiny compared to today's three-figure GB capacities.

My 320GB drive is set at one per cent and even that is probably too much at 3.2GB.

A month's restore points maximum should usually prove more than adequate.

birdface 19:39 10 Sep 2009

On the top of system restore it gives the Month.I believe if you click the arrow on the left of the month it goes to the previous month.
I cannot try it on mine as I just reformatted a few weeks ago.

mooly 19:46 10 Sep 2009

The new MS Antivirus offering (still in beta) creates a restore point when it updates definitions (daily) and again if you set it to do a daily scan (when it again checks and downloads updates). Wonder what folk will make of that, a few days is all the restore points you get at that rate.
This might interest some,
Enter as a command prompt,
vssadmin list shadowstorage to view details.
vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=C: /On=C: /Maxsize=3GB
to resize.
That would set the limit at 3gb for restore points.

gigagiggles 02:39 11 Sep 2009

hello.

ccleaner, tools tab, has a panel that lists all the restore points. in my case, it showed one point for every windows update, every software update or uninstall and every scheduled checkpoint, which seems to be daily. this list of 48 points dates back to my last restore 20 days ago. i have some cleaning to do.

mooly 07:08 11 Sep 2009

Again something that might interest some,
If you look in "event viewer" under <windows> <system> you may see something called volSNAP which shows that the last "volume shadow copy" or restore point was deleted to make room for the next. So on my 53gb HDD c drive restore points take around 7gb in practice, give or take.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?