System Restore Problems

carper 15:43 23 Jul 2006

Hi, I have run a search but I have been inable to find a solution to my problem.
I run XP Home SP2 and my problem is this.
I have occasion to use system restore and when I click onto the relevant dates, the system closes and then I get the message recovering files. At the end of quite a long time I get the message that the system cannot be restored to that time.
The system is deffinitely enabled and the usage is set at 12% and I have something like 40Gig disc space available. I have tried a number recovery dates but none work. Any help would be appreciated. Regards Carper

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:10 23 Jul 2006

Have you tried running system restore in "Safe Mode" yet?

If not, please try doing just that by pressing the F8 key while
the computer is booting. You should then get a menu that will
allow you to start the computer in "Safe Mode" and once it is
booted, you can then try running system restore again.

The above will allow you to run system restore without most of
the programs that usually get started when you boot the computer,
getting in the way of the system restore.

woodchip 16:12 23 Jul 2006

If it does not work, it is corrupt. Only way to get it working again is turn it of then back on. You will lose all your Restore points. But what good are they if they do not work?

Pine Man 16:56 23 Jul 2006

If that fails, and it did with mine, you have to re-install system restore as follows:-

Go to Start - Run and type %Windir%\INF then press enter.

In Windows Explorer go to Tools - Folder Options - View Tab and uncheck “Hide extensions for known file types”.

Find the sr.inf file, right click on it and select Install.

If the Files Needed dialog box appears, click Browse and point to the i386 folder on the Windows XP CD or to the i386 folder on the hard drive, if it exists, or for systems updated with the Service Pack 2 CD or Downloaded from Microsoft, browse to the C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\ folder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?