System Restore problem with W7

bumpkin 15:16 27 Jan 2015
Answered

Hi all, this is not related to my recent post about a similar thing with XP on another PC lest I confuse things. Earlier Today I created a restore point on my Win7 PC. When I later tried to restore from It it would not do so nor would any previous points work. I then tried to create a new point but "Access Denied". Tried the restore in safe mode but no better. I need some help once again. I have looked on the net but am reluctant to download any of the magic fix anything tools at the risk of causing more problems.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:07 27 Jan 2015

Switch it off that will delete all restore points - one may be corrupted causing the problem.

switch it back on again and it should create a restore point if not make one.

bumpkin 20:46 27 Jan 2015

Thanks for your reply Fruitbat, I have tried that and it does now allow me to create a new restore point, the previously listed ones still remain but I cannot restore from any of them even the new ones. I have run malwarebytes, ccleaner and ADW. Something called Bubble Dock was picked up as malware and I thought it was removed if that be of any relevance.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:58 27 Jan 2015

the restore points are corrupt delete them.

bumpkin 21:15 27 Jan 2015

How do I do that.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:31 27 Jan 2015
  bumpkin 21:51 27 Jan 2015

So turn off system restore then reboot, sorry I thought you meant switch off the PC.

bumpkin 21:54 27 Jan 2015

Obviously just switching it off would not clear the restore points.

robin_x 22:20 27 Jan 2015

Press Windows key and R and type systempropertiesprotection

It takes you directly to the correct place.

Click C drive then Configure.

Just Delete them/OK. You don't need to reboot.

bumpkin 22:55 27 Jan 2015

I followed the links but when I turn System Restore back on the option "Restore system settings and previous versions of files" is greyed out, I can only choose "Only restore previous versions of files" or turn it off again. If I try to create a new point I am getting the "Access denied" message again.

bumpkin 13:34 28 Jan 2015

Hi again, I am still trying to resolve this. When I try to create a restore point error 0x80070005 shows. If trying to restore error 0x8000ffff shows. I have managed to clear the previous restore points and windows update has added a few new ones which I cannot get to work either. Lots of info on Google and supposedly free downloads but I am hesitant to try them if restore is not working or I could make things worse. Any further suggestions please or a link to something safe to try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone