System restore problem

Meshuga 21:22 10 Aug 2007

I am trying to do a system restore to overcome a problem but whichever restore point I pick it says Restore incomplete, cannot restore to this point. Any suggestions please. My OS is XP home sp2.

sunny staines 21:25 10 Aug 2007

disable AV AND FIREWALL and any live shield spyware

Technotiger 21:27 10 Aug 2007

Adding to sunny staines .... do your system restore off-line.

or try system restore in Safe Mode.

beeuuem 21:31 10 Aug 2007

Some firewalls have self protection which stop the restore from completing. You need to turn this off. If you use Norton (Symantec) click here

Meshuga 21:32 10 Aug 2007

Thanks sunny staines and Technotiger, will have to do that in the morning owing to sudden non PC crisis. Will come back with result.

Meshuga 08:07 11 Aug 2007

Hi all, have now tried off line and in safe mode as you suggested but still get the message that Restore incomplete, cannot restore to earlier date. Apart from this one fault the PC appears to be working normally. I have run 5 different antispyware scans and AVG antivirus scan, all of which show no threats and pc working normally. Any further suggestions please.

Technotiger 08:24 11 Aug 2007

Hmm, check the size of your System Restore cache, maybe it is not big enough?

click here

Meshuga 08:25 11 Aug 2007

Technotiger, How do I do that please?

Technotiger 08:25 11 Aug 2007

PS - look under the 'How to Guide' click on "How can I set the amount of space ...."

Meshuga 08:29 11 Aug 2007

Sorry about this but where do I find the How to guide?

Technotiger 08:33 11 Aug 2007

Once you have checked the size, and increased it probably, re-start your computer and then set your own Restore Point (you have already said that everything else is running ok). Then in a few days time or maybe a bit longer, try System Restore again using the restore point you created yourself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?