Hi, I find the XP system restore facility very useful and usually set a manual restore point daily as well as the auto ones that are created. I had around 40 different points available yesterday. Today I wanted to restore to yesterdays settings but when I tried this ALL points had gone apart from one I created earlier today which did not work and three that were automatically created which appeared to work but made no difference as only a few hours old.
Thanks for your responses and links, I will look at them thoroughly later. I have not uninstalled any programs or deleted any files this week. All was well yesterday, I have today installed and played with Opera 9 although I can`t see this being the cause of the problem. I did run RegCleaner & RegScrub XP earlier today but I do not know whether this was before or after the restore points vanished. The system restore now seems to be working OK with the test points I am trying now. Luckily I ran a full system back up to a removable HDD last night (A rarity, right thing, right time) I will restore from that overnight so no big problem but I am curious as to what caused the restore failure in order to avoid it happening again when I am less prepared.
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.