System restore points

Rhuddlan 20:45 17 Jun 2004

I have various system restore points on my system that take up quite a bit of space. I never use this feature, but I might need it one day, so I will keep it enabled, but I was wondering if it is safe to delete past restore points from my comp, last months for example, I have about 8 from last month and about 5 already this month, as I have installed programs and updates recently, so if it is safe, how do I do it? Regards, Rhuddlan.

Fruit Bat 20:51 17 Jun 2004

If your happy with your system as it is now you can delete them all by just switching off system restore. Then switch back on and create a new restore point just to be safe.

to delete individual ones check out the advice by paperman27 at click here

Night Ryder 20:52 17 Jun 2004

I don't believe there is a way of selectively removing restore pionts. What I've done in the past is to disable this feature then re enable it. Once re enabled, all restore pionts are gone. Providing everything is working OK I create a new restore point and there it is, one known good restore point.

VoG II 20:54 17 Jun 2004

If you go to Control Panel/System, System Restore tab you can reduce the amount of disk space available for restore points.

I would try progressively reducing it so that you just have the required number of restore points available.

Rhuddlan 00:08 18 Jun 2004

Thanks for all the help, I will disable it then enable it, Kind regards, Rhuddlan.

dagwoood 02:15 18 Jun 2004

For future reference, there's an option to delete all of your restore points except for the last restore point that was created.

To do this go to control panel > performance and maintenance > free up space on your hard disk, then click on the more options tab at the top, then there's the option to delete all of your previous restore points except for the most recent one.

At least doing it this way leaves you with a restore point to fall back on(never heard of anyone encountering this scenario, but it crossed my mind if a problem developed between the time you turn system restore off and the time you turned it back on again, where would you go from there?).

Dagwoood.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?